Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    6

    [SOLVED]No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Recently, I've setup a dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 and everything seems to be going fine.

    The networking works perfectly, until I access sleep mode/suspend. After that, when I logon, the wireless connection is lost. I attempted to connect via 'connecting to a hidden wireless network' and entered the password, but it takes a long time to connect and eventually prompts me for the password again without acquiring connection.

    After I reboot, however, WiFi works again.

    Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 130

    If you tell me how to fix it with commands, if you don't mind, please tell me what the commands do as I'm new to Ubuntu =\
    Last edited by SkyJP; June 16th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Beans
    19,875
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    This technique sometimes, but not always works. We are going to add a file that tells the system that we have a module (a.k.a. driver) that we want to explicitly unload on suspend and reload on resume. The driver we'll unload and reload is your wireless driver iwlwifi. Let's use the text editor gedit to write a file. Since it's a location owned by root, we'll need to temporarily gain administrative privileges with sudo:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/config
    Add one line:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="iwlwifi"
    Proofread carefully, save and close gedit. Reboot.

    How does it work now?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Thank you, so far it has worked perfectly

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Beans
    19,875
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Please use thread tools at the top to mark Solved so the searchers can find it.

    Note to searchers: your wireless driver may not be iwlwifi. Please check and ask if in doubt.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    110

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    This technique sometimes, but not always works. We are going to add a file that tells the system that we have a module (a.k.a. driver) that we want to explicitly unload on suspend and reload on resume. The driver we'll unload and reload is your wireless driver iwlwifi. Let's use the text editor gedit to write a file. Since it's a location owned by root, we'll need to temporarily gain administrative privileges with sudo:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/config
    Add one line:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="iwlwifi"
    Proofread carefully, save and close gedit. Reboot.

    How does it work now?
    Followed your procedure. Now my 12.04 won't suspend?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Beans
    19,875
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    Followed your procedure. Now my 12.04 won't suspend?
    I've never heard that complaint before. Please check that your driver is actually correct if not iwlwifi and also that no typing errors were made.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, Canada
    Beans
    144
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Thanks for this - I was having the same problem on my macbookpro8,1
    This solved it.
    My driver was "b43" for any other mac users looking for a solution to the suspend problem.
    (Linux mint 13 - ubuntu 12.04 derivative)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    i have BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY installed as my driver what do i put SUSPEND_MODULES="" "" i tried SUSPEND_MODULES=BCM4312 and BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY but they both dont work can you help me please

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Beans
    19,875
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Quote Originally Posted by chrismatinez81 View Post
    i have BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY installed as my driver what do i put SUSPEND_MODULES="" "" i tried SUSPEND_MODULES=BCM4312 and BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY but they both dont work can you help me please
    I am sure that those are not the name of your driver. Please run:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    This will take a few moments; please be patient. Look for your wireless device and see what is says at driver=. Then amend the file to include the exact name of the driver in quotes. It might be this, but check and confirm:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="b43"
    As a very famous man once said, "Trust but verify."
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: No wireless connections after sleep/suspend

    Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I am sure that those are not the name of your driver. Please run:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    This will take a few moments; please be patient. Look for your wireless device and see what is says at driver=. Then amend the file to include the exact name of the driver in quotes. It might be this, but check and confirm:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="b43"
    As a very famous man once said, "Trust but verify."
    thats my driver but its still not working. i have another question im on mint 13 cinnamon when i change my power setting for my screen i set it to never turn off but it still does. i have looked online but cant find anything please let me know if you know how to fix this problem
    thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •