Thread: User serviceable parts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

User serviceable parts?

I'm considering purchasing a Lemur Ultra, and I would like to know which parts (if any) the user is allowed to replace without voiding the warranty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: User serviceable parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a Lemur Ultra, and I would like to know which parts (if any) the user is allowed to replace without voiding the warranty.
    Basically anything that doesn't involve major disassembly. So Hard Drive, RAM, wireless card, etc.

We recommend against upgrading the processor due to the number of steps required to do it, but it wouldn't technically void the warranty either.

If replacing a part means taking off the entire bottom cover, LCD cover or lid, or palmrest, then we don't consider it user-serviceable.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for the information. Do you know if replacing the optical drive requires major disassembly?

Additionally, I am wondering what the difference between the two wireless cards is (i.e. the Intel Centrino 1030 802.11 b/g/n and the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 802.11 A/B/G/N). Is it just that the 1030 doesn't support 802.11 a, or does the 6235 also offer better performance?

Edit: Regarding the wireless cards, I found these product briefs from Intel:
    Wireless-N 1030
    Advanced-N 6235
    (Warning: PDFs)

Essentially, both offer "up to 300 Mbps" throughput, but the 6325 has several other features that the 1030 lacks, perhaps most notably Bluetooth 4.0. The 6325 also uses a smaller lithography (22 nm vs 32 nm), which may make it use marginally less power. That's just me speculating, though.
    Last edited by Carborundum; June 15th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    Thank you for the information. Do you know if replacing the optical drive requires major disassembly?

Additionally, I am wondering what the difference between the two wireless cards is (i.e. the Intel Centrino 1030 802.11 b/g/n and the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 802.11 A/B/G/N). Is it just that the 1030 doesn't support 802.11 a, or does the 6235 also offer better performance?

Edit: Regarding the wireless cards, I found these product briefs from Intel:
    Wireless-N 1030
    Advanced-N 6235
    (Warning: PDFs)

Essentially, both offer "up to 300 Mbps" throughput, but the 6325 has several other features that the 1030 lacks, perhaps most notably Bluetooth 4.0. The 6325 also uses a smaller lithography (22 nm vs 32 nm), which may make it use marginally less power. That's just me speculating, though.
    The optical drives are user-serviceable.

According to our documentation from Intel, the 1030 is only capable of 150 Mbps, while the 6235 offers up to 300 Mbps.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I upgraded because the 1030 is single band ( http://ark.intel.com/products/59481/...30-Single-Band

The 6235 is dual band ( http://ark.intel.com/products/66890/...6235-Dual-Band )

I suspect the 6235 may provide me with a more reliable connection which is why I went with the upgrade. The extra features don't hurt and for $20 I thought it was worth the minor investment.

I did notice Intel claims the card will be compatible with Windows 8 if you have an interest in dual booting. I don't dual boot, I hate the idea but I thought I'd mention it for those that might find this posting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by joe4ska View Post
    I upgraded because the 1030 is single band ( http://ark.intel.com/products/59481/...30-Single-Band

The 6235 is dual band ( http://ark.intel.com/products/66890/...6235-Dual-Band )

I suspect the 6235 may provide me with a more reliable connection which is why I went with the upgrade. The extra features don't hurt and for $20 I thought it was worth the minor investment.

I did notice Intel claims the card will be compatible with Windows 8 if you have an interest in dual booting. I don't dual boot, I hate the idea but I thought I'd mention it for those that might find this posting.
    Yeah, I did end up getting the 6235, mostly because of Bluetooth 4.0. I actually didn't notice that the 1030 is single band, so that makes me even happier I upgraded.

I also have no plans to dual boot.