Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

absolutely beautiful. I've been simply logging in thru firefox, but this is great, and worked perfect for me. I too would switch to gmail, but as I've had my hotmail account since about the time it came out, I'm a little attached to it. I'm one of the few people left that've had the same personal email account for a DECADE! So thanks again for this workaround.

Beans

Ive tried this and i am returning the "pay to use webdav" error. Am i right in thinking there is no workaround for this?
    Does anyone know of any other options if someone finds themselves in this situation?

or is it simply to use firefox and log in or pay MS

thanks

Matt

Beans

Thank you so much for this guide, it worked for me. My hotmail account is probably 6 years old if not more. If someone finds a definitive answer about security (whether passwords are passed in clear), please post it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks a lot this this guide. Worked flawlessly!
    "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." - CS Lewis
    Registered Linux User #426893

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by reid View Post
    This is a great tutorial, very helpful, thanks.

My install was however using xinetd instead of inetd. Is this installed autimatically with Ubuntu? Xinetd is considered more secure than inetd, so I decided to keep it instead of installing inetd. Anyway, to get xinetd to read your inetd.conf, and incorporate those rules into it's functionality you can do this:
    Rather than running in inetd compatibility mode, why not create a xinetd server configuration file for hotwayd as described here?:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...54&postcount=3

The only additional step I had to perform was to edit the /etc/hosts.allow file and add the following line (otherwise I could not connect to 127.0.0.1):

Code:
    hotwayd: 127.0.0.1
    Cheers.
    Last edited by dpm; November 4th, 2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Also I think it would be sensible to add the hotwayd tag to this thread. A standard search on "hotwayd" on the forums does not list this thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vagayan View Post
    If someone finds a definitive answer about security (whether passwords are passed in clear), please post it here.
    Here is some documentation on the so-called HTTPMail protocol (apparently an undocumented implementation of a subset of the WebDAV protocol) which hotmail uses for communication with clients such as outlook express or in this case a gateway like hotwayd:

http://web.archive.org/web/200503270.../httpmail.html

As far as I gather from my limited understanding, yes, the information is sent in the clear. I hope someone more knowledgeable on the subject can confirm or deny this.

In any case, would it be possible to encrypt the communication between hotwayd and the HTTPMail server within an SSH tunnel, for example?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tetherblood View Post
    Ive tried this and i am returning the "pay to use webdav" error. Am i right in thinking there is no workaround for this?
    Does anyone know of any other options if someone finds themselves in this situation?

or is it simply to use firefox and log in or pay MS

thanks

Matt
    IIRC there is a gotmail project which allows you to receive (and send?) hotmail messages for accounts which do not implement the HTTMail protocol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by desp View Post
    Rather than running in inetd compatibility mode, why not create a xinetd server configuration file for hotwayd as described here?:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...54&postcount=3

The only additional step I had to perform was to edit the /etc/hosts.allow file and add the following line (otherwise I could not connect to 127.0.0.1):

Code:
    hotwayd: 127.0.0.1
    Cheers.
    Thanks desp, that is a much more elegant solution.
    W. Reid Leake
    LPIC1

Beans

Hey ppls,

Just new to linux and ubuntu and found the OP great but when i went to test it by sending a mail i was given the following error

Host lookup failed: @hotmail.com: Name or service not known

I followed the original post word for word and i cant figure out what went wrong,

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast