Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by forgeuk View Post
    OK, mine's working fine, thanks to the original poster!

This is more of an evolution question, I'd like my hotmails to go into a seperate folder that I've just made, but I can't seem to see a way to do a message rule for it. Is there a way to set up a rule to filter by account rather than by subject or sender?

Ignore that...found it, its Add then choose source account from the drop down...nice
    It is now also possible to get any folder you like instead of just the inbox. Just put the name of the folder you want after the domain in
    your email address with a forward slash. For example, to get the folder named "hello" you would issue the command "user dave@hotmail.com/hello" at the prompt. So this means in your mail reader you should enter the user name as "dave@hotmail.com/hello". You will need to create a new mailbox in your mail reader for each folder. Work continues on an IMAP implementation of hotwayd which will circumvent this folder hack due to the native folder support in IMAP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can't be my friend uses Mac and he is able to use an email client called entourage. He hasen't signt up. He uses the regular account!!

Beans

I get this:

-ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server
    -ERR That command is not available right now.

Regular hotmail.com account.

Can anyone explain why it doesnt work for me? Seems to work for everybody else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi folks -- A SOLUTION!

I fought for ages with Getlive (www.sourceforge.net/projects/getlive) which worked of a fashion but a proper fiddle to get going. After a clean install of intrepid I decided to have a look around to find alternatives. This thread looks like HOTWAY only works if you have the right vintage of hotmail account.

So heres an alternative:

to get hotmail - using freepops (www.freepops.org)
    go to website
    download .deb package
    download updated hotmail.lua
    install .deb package (from nautilus)
    copy the updated hotmail.lua to /usr/share/freepops/lua
    restart daemon: sudo /etc/init.d/freepops restart

then configure evolution:
    Add mail account
    Name: <your name>
    Email address <your full hotmail email address>
    -->Forward
    server type: POP
    Server: 127.0.0.1:2000 (NOTE PORT 2000 !! IMPORTANT !!)
    Username: <your full hotmail email address, incl domain>
    No encryption
    Authentication: password
    Tick remember password
    -->Forward
    Checking for new mail - probably best to leave this un-ticked and get messages manually when you want to, by clicking Send/Receive. Avoid repeat slow logon and tipping MS off that you are using a scraper (against MS terms of use I believe)
    Message storage
    accept defaults
    -->forward
    Sending email. You can't!! but evolution demands info so I suggest server type SMTP, server <insert junk>, untick 'server requires authentication.
    -->forward
    Account info
    Whatever you want to call it, I use 'hotmail via freepops'
    -->forward
    -->apply

Click 'send / receive' button on evolution toolbar
    When prompted for a password enter your usual *HOTMAIL* password

BONZA worked first time no aggro. Recommended

Good luck if you decide to give it a go

Cheers

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm trying to get all my old emails from hotmail to gmail. I went into hotmail and marked them all as unread, then added the hotmail accout to gmail using a free POP access website. It only got some of the mail though. I don't need constant POP access because I'm just trying to get rid of hotmail alltogether but I want to keep my old emails and there are too many to forward one at a time.

How else can I just transfer all of them to gmail?
    Q6600 Quad Core @2.4GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4GB DDR1066 DDR2

Beans

[SOLVED] I tried the FreePops steps zzztownsend provided, but I received the following error message in Evolution:

Error while Fetching Mail.
    Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1.
    Error sending password: Operation now in progress

I've tried exiting Evolution and restarting the FreePops service, but still no workee. Clues?

[EDIT]: I found a link that described changing the FireFox configuration value for general.useragent.vendor from "Ubuntu" to "Firefox" - and it worked! After rebooting I was able to receive all my Hotmail mail.

[UPDATE]: As noted by zzztownsend, FreePops only works for receiving your Hotmail. I found that if I also installed HotSMTP, I could also send from my Hotmail account to other email accounts through Evolution. Just search forums for details on how to install hotsmtp and configure with Evolution. Most instructions include installing hotway to receive Hotmail mail, but just skip those steps and execute the hotsmtp steps and you're good to go!
    Last edited by pwhitted; December 13th, 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: [UPDATE]

Beans

it works perfectly the reception but don't work the sending

Beans

Thank you so much! hotmail on evolution! wooow! you are my hero! I won't leave linux again...ever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This had been working great using the details of ZZTOWNSEND's post for about 3 weeks but for no apparent reason I can't check hotmail anymore.
    Started getting the following error:
    Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1
    Error sending password: -ERR NETWORK ERROR
    Please enter the POP password for (my email account) on host 127.0.0.1

Checked the password in a firefox hotmail session and it is correct.
    Shutdown and restarted the freepops server ok but still no joy.
    Uninstalled the freepops packages and re-installed - no change.
    Tried changing the POP server value in the Evolution mail account from 127.0.0.1 to "localhost" - both return the same error.
    Tried changing the FireFox configuration value for general.useragent.vendor from "Ubuntu" to "Firefox" - still nothing.

Anyone else having issues?

Beans

Hello,
    Just letting you know that I have recently upgraded to a fantastic webmail client, Atmail. They are a commercial email server appliance and webmail provider, however they have recently released a free version of their software, called atmail open. The biggest advantage is that I can now access my emails from anywhere in the world from the same fantastic interface every time. I find it is a much faster, simpler, better looking interface than any other, such as hotmail and gmail.

You can find an tutorial for installing it on there website here --> http://atmail.com/kb/2008/installing...ent-on-ubuntu/

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast