Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

The freepops method works great, also for windows live mail.

just use this format for your username:

xxxxxxx@hotmail.com?domain=live.xxx
    Help Conquer Cancer!
    Donate your idle processor time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is there any way to make the first method work? IF so that would be great
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thx worked for me us well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deepee_oz View Post
    This had been working great using the details of ZZTOWNSEND's post for about 3 weeks but for no apparent reason I can't check hotmail anymore.
    Started getting the following error:
    Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1
    Error sending password: -ERR NETWORK ERROR
    Please enter the POP password for (my email account) on host 127.0.0.1
    . . .Anyone else having issues?
    I get a similar type of error (I'm using Thunderbird). I ran the server from a terminal using the command "freepopsd -w", which prints out lots of debug commands. The error wasn't due to a wrong password, but that's just what the pop client thinks because it's the last error.

I used the output along with the script (hotmail.lua) and it seems that hotmail has changed their protocol so it no longer matches what the script is looking for. I remember recently accepting some Hotmail upgrade to a newer and greater UI, so I suspect that's the problem. Perhaps the people who say it works great did not make this change.

I tried hacking a little with the script, and made it get one step further, but it got another similar failure (string did not match). It's not really important enough to me to spend more time trying to figure it out and fix it, as I rarely use Hotmail (which is partly why I wanted some notification to tell me if I got mail). Gmail is so much nicer - it can forward to another account, or you can use pop. I don't know why Hotmail can't be a little more user friendly.

If I had been using it a long time, I'd switch to gmail, then set up a vacation response in Hotmail telling everyone my new address, and check Hotmail every once in a while to see if anything important was there, and try to change the address for those that didn't switch over to the new address. Or send feedback complaining about how bad it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Done all this, but I cannot send or receive as constantly asking for password for 127.0.0.1 despite inputting correct one!

Beans

Thanks, this worked very nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After 2.5 years and two completely new Ubuntu versions, still very valid how-to. Thanks Indras !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by brimurray View Post
    Done all this, but I cannot send or receive as constantly asking for password for 127.0.0.1 despite inputting correct one!
    Same here.

Trying to make it work for live.com BTW. So what linfidel said is true, there is some change in the protocol so this doesn't work now?
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion64x2 1.6GHz, 1.5GB DDR2, Ati Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory, 80GB HDD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zzztownsend View Post
    Hi folks -- A SOLUTION!

I fought for ages with Getlive (www.sourceforge.net/projects/getlive) which worked of a fashion but a proper fiddle to get going. After a clean install of intrepid I decided to have a look around to find alternatives. This thread looks like HOTWAY only works if you have the right vintage of hotmail account.

So heres an alternative:

to get hotmail - using freepops (www.freepops.org)
    go to website
    download .deb package
    I can follow only as far as this. It sounds promicing, but as a newbie I don't know how to do all the steps.

From where do you download the "updated hotmail.lua"?

How does one "install .deb package (from nautilus)"?

And how exactly do you "copy the updated hotmail.lua to /usr/share/freepops/lua"?

restart daemon: sudo /etc/init.d/freepops restart
    I guess "sudo /etc/init.d/freepops restart" would be entered in the terminal.

Username: <your full hotmail email address, incl domain>
    What might be the "domain"?

Message storage
    accept defaults
    I can't see this option.

Sending email. You can't!!
    Sorry, but with this solution it's only possible to receive e-mails?

I have my hotmail account at least for five years and never changed anything. At some time it was automatically changed to Windows Live.

Many thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by manoka View Post
    I can follow only as far as this. It sounds promicing, but as a newbie I don't know how to do all the steps.

From where do you download the "updated hotmail.lua"?
    I assume this is on the freepops website; lua is a free scripting language that must be used to parse the html and get the mail.

How does one "install .deb package (from nautilus)"?
    Simply double-click on it. .deb files are associated with the package manager.

And how exactly do you "copy the updated hotmail.lua to /usr/share/freepops/lua"?
    That's not as easy as it seems, because you need su ("admin") authority to write to that directory. At the terminal, you would find the lua file, then
    Code:
     "sudo cp hotmail.lua /usr/share/freepops/lua"
    I guess "sudo /etc/init.d/freepops restart" would be entered in the terminal.
    That would be the most satisfying place to enter it.

What might be the "domain"?
    hotmail.com - the domain for a URL is always the part after the @ sign.

I can't see this option.
    It's not an option. It means don't change any of the existing settings, which are normally set to reasonable default values.

Sorry, but with this solution it's only possible to receive e-mails?
    You should be able to use your ISP's SMTP server for sending mail. In the old days, you needed a POP server to get mail, and an SMTP server to send mail; they don't need to be the same. In the really old days, you could use any SMTP server to relay mail, because there was no authentication, but now they either require login, or you need to be withing the range of IP addresses for the provider.

I have my hotmail account at least for five years and never changed anything. At some time it was automatically changed to Windows Live.

I hope this helps. I've never actually used this service, so I don't know details, but I thought I might be able to help you somewhat.

By the way, I just read that Microsoft has started allowing POP/SMTP for regular hotmail. It's available in several countries already, and the rest will follow later this year.
    http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2F7EB29B42641D59!32413.entry
    Last edited by linfidel; February 4th, 2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: new information

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast