Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Don't you think we've tried that?
    We are not here to get you working for us. If we are asking, we have done at least a little research on the subject. If you don't know the answer, do not try to find it in excuses concerning about not to understand the problem and say that I do not speak the same language than you!
    Either way thank you for trying to find a solution to the problem, and sorry for the bad English.

Greetings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by pmrb View Post
    Don't you think we've tried that?
    We are not here to get you working for us. If we are asking, we have done at least a little research on the subject. If you don't know the answer, do not try to find it in excuses concerning about not to understand the problem and say that I do not speak the same language than you!
    Either way thank you for trying to find a solution to the problem, and sorry for the bad English.

Greetings
    I think its nap time for somebody.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Beans

Thank You, followed the first post step by step and it works perfect :thumbsup:

Beans

thanks for ur howto's mandrill!
    i had to download the freepops program and now it works, -that is the incoming mails work. when trying to send an email, it asks for my smtp password. according to my isp, thats the same as my password for the adsl login. anyway i tried that but it wont authenticate.
    any thoughts?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Indras View Post
    Okay everyone, after digging around in these forums and googling like I've never googled before, I figured out how to send and receive e-mail through hotmail using Evolution. I'm throwing together a rough HOWTO for others. If things need more clarification, let me know and I'll update it.

[b]First, .........
    (I donno how long ago this was posted (I googled it)and I dont care...)but
    You are all right man, great job...

You know I trashed my system and re-built it last week. I had somehow found a page with a whole lot of screen shots of setting up Evolution for hotmail. This guy had spent a lot of time for his instructions and I give him credit for all his hard work but still some ppl had troubles with getting it to work (mainly my problem was I had to tweak the port number)..
    Any way that was the 1st time, took me a long time to set it all up and of course every thing was destroyed after re-doing my machine...
    But this instructions you gave us is most excellent and least time-consuming.I got it going in few minutes...

Just wanted to thank you for a great job well done!
    Regards;

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jens83 View Post
    thanks for ur howto's mandrill!
    i had to download the freepops program and now it works, -that is the incoming mails work. when trying to send an email, it asks for my smtp password. according to my isp, thats the same as my password for the adsl login. anyway i tried that but it wont authenticate.
    any thoughts?
    thanks
    Your smtp password could be 2 things. "Password" usually means your code to access the ISP's server for your mail, but in this case, I think you want something in this format - smtp.xxx.xxxx.net/com. For instance "smtp.east.comcast.net" or somesuch in that format. Port 25.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by mandrill; October 17th, 2008 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

that would be: smtp.mail.dravanet.hu and it didnt work.. also not sure where to check if im using "port 25"

trying to attach an image here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	460.8 KB 
ID:	88723  

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jens83 View Post
    that would be: smtp.mail.dravanet.hu and it didnt work.. also not sure where to check if im using "port 25"

trying to attach an image here
    I'm gonna take a guess here, but since Evolution is set to port 25 by default (here, anyway), your ISP either blocks port 25, or doesn't allow outgoing (smtp) mail that is not encrypted/secured, (an easy fix.) Best bet, call them and ask. (Port settings default at 25 out and 110 in for pop mail) Gmail uses 995 for smtp (I think) and IMAP servers use 143 instead of 110. Anyway, I don't remember whether or not you were restricted on your other OS or not; some ISP's don't offer smtp, you have to use a separate server (or make one.)

Either way, its not a big deal, you're real close.

Beans

I'm starting to think Linux hates me. This tutorial worked for almost everybody, but of course after following the instruction word-for-word and double-checking every step along the way, I get an error message while trying to receive my mail. "Error while Fetching Mail.

Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1: No support for requested authentication mechanism."

Why? I did try searching through the forums and these 32 pages of posting without solving my problem. I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Doug

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sirdouglas View Post
    I'm starting to think Linux hates me. This tutorial worked for almost everybody, but of course after following the instruction word-for-word and double-checking every step along the way, I get an error message while trying to receive my mail. "Error while Fetching Mail.

Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1: No support for requested authentication mechanism."

Why? I did try searching through the forums and these 32 pages of posting without solving my problem. I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Doug

Linux doesn't hate you any more than it hated me for a year. The problem you are having is that the freepops daemon is not starting for you automatically, and therefore is not connecting to your POP server 127.0.1.1 (which is your machine). You could start it manually in a terminal every time you wanted to check mail by typing "freepopsd" in a terminal and leaving it open during your mail session. When you close the terminal,you close freepops.

Therefore, I recommend the much more satisfying route of going to System > Preferences > Sessions (in Gnome) and manually adding it to the list of start-up services. Again, the command is "freepopsd" Strangely, you only have to do that if you get freepops from the Ubuntu repos (and its a version or two behind the current release). If you download the deb package from the site it configures automatically, (except when the download link shows nothing but javascript like it did the other day). If that doesn't fix it, post back. Make sure your pop server is localhost:2000.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by mandrill; October 21st, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast