Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
    I had followed instructions according to this guide:http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-200408.html to send and receive hotmail from Opera. I am able to receive hotmail but I'm not able to send email. Before my ubuntu 7.10 crashed, I was able to send email. After I re-installed ubuntu, I forgot what I did to configure the settings via smtp to send email through Opera. I know it uses port 25. Does anyone know what are the proper smtp settings to send hotmail email in Opera? Thanks!
    According to your post, the instructions given in the provided link configure smtp as localhost:2500.........or 127.0.0.1:2500 (2500 is the port #) Why not use your ISP's smtp settings?

OR, you could set it up as in my how-to with freepops. Should work in Opera as well, and as a pop account. Much easier. Best of luck!
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Beans

Question Freepops and Evolution a no go for me

I am having trouble getting my email set up with evolution. I have done everything in this forum on a yahoo and windows live account, and nothing works. I would like to bind to a differnet port, but the terminal says the command is not valid (freepops -p port#). I had freepops set up nicely on my windows partion which is on a vm, but I don't want to boot into that just to get mail. I have also tried doing this through opera, again with no responce. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am very new to linux, so please don't assume I no what you might be suggesting.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Freepops and Evolution a no go for me

Quote Originally Posted by arella71 View Post
    I am having trouble getting my email set up with evolution. I have done everything in this forum on a yahoo and windows live account, and nothing works. I would like to bind to a differnet port, but the terminal says the command is not valid (freepops -p port#). I had freepops set up nicely on my windows partion which is on a vm, but I don't want to boot into that just to get mail. I have also tried doing this through opera, again with no responce. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am very new to linux, so please don't assume I no what you might be suggesting.
    Not sure why you want to bind to different port, unless another client is already listening there. But here is what you can do if you feel brave -
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/freepops
    There's a variable in there named $DEFAULT_DAEMON_OPTS. Drop your switches in there..for example:
    Code:
    -p 110 -b MY_COMPUTER (or whatever you want)
    This is posted as is, no guarantees.
    Last edited by mandrill; March 27th, 2008 at 04:26 AM.

Beans

Thanks, I don't really want to bind to a different port. I just know one that I have already opened for bittorrent- I thought I could use that. Also my ISP blocks port 25 but i can use 587 for sending. Anyways I have not been able to get this work still.

Beans
    Distro

Anybody unable to get your Hotmail through Freepops (like me) as of yesterday or today, they usually have a fix out within 48 hours.

Microsoft puts some effort into stopping the use of automated scripts to access their POP mail - they want you to sign on to the website and get all the ads......

For those of you that are interested, here is a very good article about Freepops and how it works. http://www.linux.com/feature/119379

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mandrill View Post
    Anybody unable to get your Hotmail through Freepops (like me) as of yesterday or today, they usually have a fix out within 48 hours.

Microsoft puts some effort into stopping the use of automated scripts to access their POP mail - they want you to sign on to the website and get all the ads......

For those of you that are interested, here is a very good article about Freepops and how it works. http://www.linux.com/feature/119379
    Hotmail is working again in Freepops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Indras View Post
    Okay everyone, after digging around in these forums and googling like I've never googled before, I figured out how to send and receive e-mail through hotmail using Evolution. I'm throwing together a rough HOWTO for others. If things need more clarification, let me know and I'll update it.

First, make sure your system is up to date. Open up a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Now, install the inet daemon

Code:
    sudo apt-get install inetutils-inetd
    This takes care of all of our dependencies. Now on to the good stuff...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install hotway hotsmtp
    This will install hotway, which allows you to read hotmail e-mails by simulating a POP3 server, and hotsmtpd, which allows you to send e-mail through hotmail using SMTP. By default, however, only hotway gets installed properly to your inet daemon, so let's fix this.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/inetd.conf
    Look for a line like this:

Code:
    pop3		stream	tcp	nowait	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/bin/hotwayd
    By default, hotway leaves a copy of each message it downloads on the server. I prefer it this way, so I can read my e-mail at other locations, but if you don't feel like filling up your hotmail box, change the line to add "-r" to the end, like this:

Code:
    pop3		stream	tcp	nowait	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/bin/hotwayd -r
    And we also need to add a line to get hotsmtpd working, just paste this at the bottom:

Code:
    2500		stream	tcp	nowait	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/bin/hotsmtpd
    This will set the inet daemon to listen to incoming calls on port 2500, and forward the connection to the hotsmtp daemon. Now, save your file, exit gedit, and restart your inetd server:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/inetutils-inetd restart
    If everything is working properly, you'll see this pop up on your screen:

Code:
    * Restarting internet superserver inetd                            [ ok ]
    Now, close out of your terminal and start up Evolution. It may pop up the first-time use wizard, you can use that if you like. Or, you may have to go to Edit->Preferences and hit the Mail Accounts button on the left. However you choose to do it, here's your information:

Email Address: xxx@hotmail.com (fill in your normal e-mail address that you use to login to hotmail)

Receive Server type: POP
    Server: 127.0.0.1
    Username: xxx@hotmail.com (same as above)
    Security: No encryption
    Authentication type: Password
    (Remember password checkbox is up to you)

Send Server type: SMTP
    Server: 127.0.0.1:2500
    [X] Server requires authentication (check this box)
    Use Secure Connection: No encryption
    Authentication Type: PLAIN
    Username: xxx@hotmail.com (same as above)
    (Optional Remember password checkbox)
    Hi, I would love this to work for me.
    I followed your instructions, but got an error:
    Error sending password: -ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server
    Is this because it only works with hotmail.com addresses (I've got a hotmail.co.uk address)?
    Thank for any help

Beans
    Distro

---Quote (By P1SH)---Hi, I would love this to work for me.
    I followed your instructions, but got an error:
    Error sending password: -ERR Unable to find folder inbox on remote server
    Is this because it only works with hotmail.com addresses (I've got a hotmail.co.uk address)?
    Thank for any help[/QUOTE]

NO. UK addresses will work only from the actual webpage.(Usually, but with some help,maybe...(eg Thunderbird)

As far as the "how-to" just posted above.....why make new people spend 1/2 hour doing something that can be done in 5 minutes, not to mention all the added steps that increase the likelihood of error? Right now, these folks just wanna get their mail - no need to make it look like they've got to climb Everest first.

Follow my how-to earlier in this thread and you'll see what I'm talking about........
    Last edited by mandrill; April 4th, 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi mandrill
    Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful. Will read throught the posts of this thread.

Beans

Having same problem as ph1sh, only I have a normal msn.com email address. Could it be I'm using the wrong server IP (or whatever it is, the 127.0.0.1 thing) ?

Thanks
    Alex

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast