Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Wouldn't it be better to have a "dedicated" account for that kind of thing? That's what I do, rather than having to reconfigure hotmail's rules and evolutions ability to decipher things.
    I mean, it can be done, (new folder not called junk, for one thing), but how about setting up a "Junk" email account where all that stuff goes.....much easier! Also, you might consider using a different mail provider. (Fastmail, Mail.com, etc...) all the configs would be the same for them as hotmail without the headaches.
    Last edited by mandrill; February 29th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Beans

I feel kind of left out, everyone post that this works great. I was following the directions and it was working fine until I entered:

sudo gedit /etc/inetd.conf

Thats when it crashed and told me:

michael@michael-desktop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/inetd.conf
    sudo: gedit: command not found

I tried moving on any way and get:

michael@michael-desktop:~$ pop3 stream tcp nowait nobody /us r/sbin/tcpd /usr/bin/hotwayd
    bash: pop3: command not found

Any thoughts on what's up?

Beans
    Distro

Here is absolutely the easiest way to get hotmail, or almost any webmail, through Evolution, or any other mail client:

Originally Posted by mandrill View Post

Install freepops & updater from the site,http://cybertech.altervista.org/freepops.php, Update the freepops database. For Evolution enter pop server as localhost;2000, or localhost port 2000 with other mail clients, and all the other normal stuff, and you can get your hotmail - as well as just about any other web-based email you want. Simple.If you get error message "cannot bind" - make sure you have your email account set up first.There are versions for both I386 & amd64.

This will not work on paid versions of hot/livemail, You will have to use the alternative - also somewhere in this thread....

Beans

gedit: command not found
    Most likely means gedit is not installed. Gedit is gnome's default text editor. If you use KDE (kubuntu) type kate instead of gedit. If you use XFCE (xubuntu) type mousepad instead of gedit.
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by angry_johnnie View Post
    Most likely means gedit is not installed. Gedit is gnome's default text editor. If you use KDE (kubuntu) type kate instead of gedit. If you use XFCE (xubuntu) type mousepad instead of gedit.
    Good catch. Didn't see it first time. That would mean it somehow got uninstalled first, would it not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have just installed freepops and it works like a charm. I can now access/archive my hotmail email from evolution. Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Yeah, so easy.
    Hotmail only works with outlook in windows.

Beans

I just installed FreePops with evolution a few days ago and it was working. Now it seems like it checks Hotmail but nothing happens. I have had Hotmail for ever and still get the free POP access. Works well under Thunderbird with Webmail but was hoping to get Evolution up and running. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

[QUOTE=Merovius;4564456]I just installed FreePops with evolution a few days ago and it was working. Now it seems like it checks Hotmail but nothing happens. I have had Hotmail for ever and still get the free POP access. Works well under Thunderbird with Webmail but was hoping to get Evolution up and running. Any ideas?[/QUOTE

With no error messages, just no mail I would suggest that you run the updater. Can you log on to hotmail directly? Also, make sure the daemon is running, the
    command to start it is freepopsd, but when done that way it will only run as long as the terminal is open. A good thing to do is mount your system monitor somewhere convenient, like one of your panels, then all you have to do is open it, check running processes, and you'll know whats going on.....also make sure you have updated to the newer version hotmail (livemail) or the script will not work.
    Last edited by mandrill; March 22nd, 2008 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

I had followed instructions according to this guide:http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-200408.html to send and receive hotmail from Opera. I am able to receive hotmail but I'm not able to send email. Before my ubuntu 7.10 crashed, I was able to send email. After I re-installed ubuntu, I forgot what I did to configure the settings via smtp to send email through Opera. I know it uses port 25. Does anyone know what are the proper smtp settings to send hotmail email in Opera? Thanks!

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast