Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

When I tried to retreive my mail I got this error :-
    Error while Fetching Mail.

Unable to connect to POP server 127.0.0.1: No support for requested authentication mechanism.
    EDIT: All sorted, authentication was login instead of password

Worked lovely, excellent !!!
    Last edited by richbarna; July 1st, 2006 at 02:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I used to use this forever and a half ago, but I had forgotten all about it. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

This is a great tutorial, very helpful, thanks.

My install was however using xinetd instead of inetd. Is this installed autimatically with Ubuntu? Xinetd is considered more secure than inetd, so I decided to keep it instead of installing inetd. Anyway, to get xinetd to read your inetd.conf, and incorporate those rules into it's functionality you can do this:

Edit the startup script that calls xinetd.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/xinetd
    Change this under the 'start' case:
    Code:
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --background --exec /usr/sbin/xinetd -- -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid $XINETD_OPTS
    By adding the '-inetd_compat' argument:
    Code:
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --background --exec /usr/sbin/xinetd -- -inetd_compat -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid XINETD_OPTS
    Then, restart xinetd:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
    I got that nugget from /usr/share/doc/xinetd/README.Debian

Thanks again for the great tutorial - I had no idea this was even an option.
    W. Reid Leake
    LPIC1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The link about :

EDIT: Here's a website that confirms my suspicions:
    http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2006/Apr...ve_mail_i.html

says to open the extension dialog. I don't know where this is.

Beans

Brill guide. It worked great.

If you have a newer account like me the way to get it going is to get into the Windows Live Mail Desktop beta as that enables WebDAV to get Delta Sync working.
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans

Excellent posts, Indras! Works great for me and your step-by-step instructions are really clear.

My Hotmail account uses multiple folders to sort incoming mail. Has anyone figured out how to synchronize folders other than the Inbox? While I am waiting for a response, I'll see if can figure out how ....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klytu View Post
    Excellent posts, Indras! Works great for me and your step-by-step instructions are really clear.

My Hotmail account uses multiple folders to sort incoming mail. Has anyone figured out how to synchronize folders other than the Inbox? While I am waiting for a response, I'll see if can figure out how ....
    Found an answer in the hotwayd man pages (quoted verbatim):

It is now also possible to get any folder you like instead of just the inbox. Just put the name of the folder you want after the domain in
    your email address with a forward slash. For example, to get the folder named "hello" you would issue the command "user dave@hotmail.com/hello" at the prompt. So this means in your mail reader you should enter the user name as "dave@hotmail.com/hello". You will need to create a new mailbox in your mail reader for each folder. Work continues on an IMAP implementation of hotwayd which will circumvent this folder hack due to the native folder support in IMAP.
    To set up the additional Hotmail folders, you add a new hotmail account for each one. For example, I have a folder called "Programming" in my Hotmail account. To set it up in Evolution, I created a new Hotmail account using the steps in the howto, but for the username I used my_username@hotmail.com/Programming and named the new account Hotmail-Programming. Next in Evolution I created a mail folder called Programming. Then I set my message filters to send all mail from that new account to the Programming folder: Edit>Message Filters; Add; for search name I typed programming (I don't think it matters what you put there); Under "find items that meet the following criteria" changed "sender" "is" to "source account" "is" using the selection arrows and chose the new account created; under "then" "move to folder" selected the Programming folder I had created in Evolution. Now when I click "Send/Receive" mail from my Hotmail Programming folder is sent to the mail folder Programming in Evolution.

Something I noticed which might not be obvious is that if you want messages you download in Evolution to stay on the Hotmail server so that you can read them later from another location (on the web, for example), you should tick the "Leave messages on server option" when setting up your Hotmail account(s) (Edit>Preferences>Accounts, select an account and click Edit, choose "Receiving Options" tab and tick or clear "Leave messages on server option" as desired). I missed this step when I first set-up Hotmail under Evolution, and when Evolution downloaded my messages it emptied my Hotmail inbox - which is not what I wanted. I had to forward all those messages back to myself in order to access them from the web again.
    Last edited by klytu; July 20th, 2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

If you have a newer account like me the way to get it going is to get into the Windows Live Mail Desktop beta as that enables WebDAV to get Delta Sync working.
    Yeah, I fall into that category. So how do I do that?

Beans

Wait for a public beta
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans
    Hidden!

This works great with the in Opera integrated email client too.

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast