Thread: Running very slow and have an error

Beans

Unhappy Running very slow and have an error

First of all I would like to state I am completely new to the OS. I have installed ubuntu desktop on a partition of my PC's HDD using the windows installer. My PC is very old. As i dont know much about the OS I can only state here what I know is happening but if someone states how i can get you the information you need to help i will do it. First thing is the cursor is flickering. I have an error at the top saying brokencount > 0. it takes more than 5 seconds for a window to open. It has taken nearly an hour to download and install 255mb of updatea with a connection of 100mb/s. I have windows running on the other partition and when i installed ubuntu i put it in a partition with 49gb of memory but only stated in the installer 18gb.

Thanks for any help and im sorry its so vague ive tried my best.

Marcus.

I have just found out a bit more information - It does not recognize my graphics driver, and its running a slight bit it quicker in 2D mode.
    Last edited by Chuckymong; June 23rd, 2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added more information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Running very slow and have an error

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckymong View Post
    First of all I would like to state I am completely new to the OS. I have installed ubuntu desktop on a partition of my PC's HDD using the windows installer. My PC is very old. As i dont know much about the OS I can only state here what I know is happening but if someone states how i can get you the information you need to help i will do it. First thing is the cursor is flickering. I have an error at the top saying brokencount > 0. it takes more than 5 seconds for a window to open. It has taken nearly an hour to download and install 255mb of updatea with a connection of 100mb/s. I have windows running on the other partition and when i installed ubuntu i put it in a partition with 49gb of memory but only stated in the installer 18gb.

Thanks for any help and im sorry its so vague ive tried my best.

Marcus.

I have just found out a bit more information - It does not recognize my graphics driver, and its running a slight bit it quicker in 2D mode.
    How old is the computer (i.e. hardware specs)? Ubuntu is really designed for computers made in the last three or four years or so. However, there is lighter alternatives, such as Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

Beans

Im not sure exactly how old i was given it last year from a friend who was moving and coulding find space to move it with him, as for specs hardware isnt my strong point but heres what i know -

its E-Machines, 1.70ghz, 2gb RAM, 60GB storage and i think a voodoo graphics card.

Hope this helps and if i was to install another version would i be able to use the window installer as it has no CD writer and the BIOS wont support boot from USB.

Thanks marcus, I thought Ubuntu would be quicker than XP that was the point of changing as all i do on XP is browse the internet and develop websites.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: The 2d has just failed and i remember seeing something like - Try hd(0, 0) when it booted.
    Last edited by Chuckymong; June 23rd, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: more information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckymong View Post
    Im not sure exactly how old i was given it last year from a friend who was moving and coulding find space to move it with him, as for specs hardware isnt my strong point but heres what i know -

its E-Machines, 1.70ghz, 2gb RAM, 60GB storage and i think a voodoo graphics card.

Hope this helps and if i was to install another version would i be able to use the window installer as it has no CD writer and the BIOS wont support boot from USB.

Thanks marcus, I thought Ubuntu would be quicker than XP that was the point of changing as all i do on XP is browse the internet and develop websites.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: The 2d has just failed and i remember seeing something like - Try hd(0, 0) when it booted.
    Unfortunately, the world has moved on from XP. Ubuntu will usually be quicker than windows Vista and 7, but not XP. I can, however, testify that both Xubuntu and Lubuntu will run quicker than XP did on my machine. They're not any different 'under the hood', but they do have a lighter environment (less glass, more panel).

Beans

the system is definitely fast enough, looks like a graphics or hdd issue, maybe the hdd is dying, or maybe when you installed, you used wireless internet and had a dodgey connection, causing errors.