Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Controls

Beans

Re: Remote Controls

This RF version of the mce remote looks super intriguing. Made by Tripp Lite; so, it's probably good hardware. Supported by the mceusb driver (according to some web posts I found) although the manufacturer disclaims this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does anyone know of a remote/receiver combo that just plugs in and works 100%? As the first post in this thread indicates, I am using the Streamzap remote, but trying to modify LIRC config files resulted in a nearly inoperable remote. I still don't really know what I did wrong, but I was hoping I didn't have to go back through that again.

I have seen some posts about remotes that are seen as USB keyboards by the OS, but configuring xmod, and certain other shortcomings has me a little concerned. I would not be concerned about modifying LIRC to get my Sreamzap working like I want, but I don't want to end up with a non-working remote again. Is there one source that can tell me what files to modify, where they are located, and what the base content needs to be??? I understand that the configuration files cannot be 100% what I want, but something should be out there that gets me to 90% or better.

Thanks for your wisdom....

Beans
    Distro

Any one of these work out of the box

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

I have the 1039 5/5 which can learn from the TV remote to turn the TV on and off.

If you run
    Code:
    irw
    from a terminal, then press buttons on the remote, the name of the button is displayed in the terminal.
    I cut and pasted these into a file and printed it.
    Once you know the name of each button you can edit ~/.mythtv/lircrc to the change what the buttons do.
    I use mousepad to edit as it's graphical
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mousepad
    sudo mousepad ~/.mythtv/lircrc
    The keys for the functions are in set in the setting menu of the frontend as well as mythweb.

you will see where and what to change in ~/.mythtv/lircrc remember to edit with sudo and save a backup before making any changes.

an example from my files for the Guide button
    irw
    Code:
    000000037ff07bd9 01 Guide mceusb
    entry in ~/.mythtv/lircrc note the remote is mceuse yours will different.
    Code:
    begin
        remote = mceusb
        prog = mythtv
        button = Guide
        config = S
        repeat = 0
        delay = 0
    end
    hope this helps
    Last edited by AlecJ; January 8th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jlp_engineer View Post
    Does anyone know of a remote/receiver combo that just plugs in and works 100%? As the first post in this thread indicates, I am using the Streamzap remote, but trying to modify LIRC config files resulted in a nearly inoperable remote. I still don't really know what I did wrong, but I was hoping I didn't have to go back through that again.

I have seen some posts about remotes that are seen as USB keyboards by the OS, but configuring xmod, and certain other shortcomings has me a little concerned. I would not be concerned about modifying LIRC to get my Sreamzap working like I want, but I don't want to end up with a non-working remote again. Is there one source that can tell me what files to modify, where they are located, and what the base content needs to be??? I understand that the configuration files cannot be 100% what I want, but something should be out there that gets me to 90% or better.

Thanks for your wisdom....
    This is not strictly out of the box, but as near as dammit, you have to download a driver and compile it - but once you have done that it is flawless.

I have 7 of them (including spares).

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/
    Last edited by nickrout; January 8th, 2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: to include the url (d'oh)

Beans

My recommendation is go get a flirc.tv IR receiver. It converts any remote's signals directly to keycodes. You cam map almost any remote with it. You don't need lirc at all as the CPU will see it as a keyboard. It's very responsive, there are ubuntu drivers and you can get support for linux on their website.

My recommendation for a remote to look for a OEM logitec harmony 650. It has all the buttons needed for Mythtv, it's well constructed, and the keys light up which is perfect for the bedroom. This has the added bonus that you can control the volume and tv power directly. You can sometimes find these for $39 or less. Well worth it in IMO.

It's not quite plug and play, but it's close.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    Any one of these work out of the box

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

I have the 1039 5/5 which can learn from the TV remote to turn the TV on and off.

If you run
    Code:
    irw
    from a terminal, then press buttons on the remote, the name of the button is displayed in the terminal.
    I cut and pasted these into a file and printed it.
    Once you know the name of each button you can edit ~/.mythtv/lircrc to the change what the buttons do.
    I use mousepad to edit as it's graphical
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mousepad
    sudo mousepad ~/.mythtv/lircrc
    The keys for the functions are in set in the setting menu of the frontend as well as mythweb.

you will see where and what to change in ~/.mythtv/lircrc remember to edit with sudo and save a backup before making any changes.

an example from my files for the Guide button
    irw
    Code:
    000000037ff07bd9 01 Guide mceusb
    entry in ~/.mythtv/lircrc note the remote is mceuse yours will different.
    Code:
    begin
        remote = mceusb
        prog = mythtv
        button = Guide
        config = S
        repeat = 0
        delay = 0
    end
    hope this helps
    Yes, this did help. Thank you very much. This is the first time I have tried something with regard to LIRC and it worked. The Wiki for this remote seems to indicate that you change two files (lircrc & lircd.conf), which I did. Once I did that, my remote didn't work.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12