Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Controls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Remote Controls

OK, here is an easy one

I would like to have a remote that is similar to the PVR-150 MCE remote, that has a button for the guide while viewing TV. With the remote I have now, which is a StreamZap remote, I have to press menu, then down arrow a few times, then press select twice, which is a pain. I know I could define the colored buttons to do this, but the rest of my family is not as technically inclined as I am. Also, how does LIRC know what kind of receiver is connected (UIRT, USB, etc.) when you select a remote from the list??? I am foggy on the relationships there.

So, is there a remote on the market, that has a guide button for live TV, that ideally already works with MythTV, that maybe even comes with its own USB IR receiver??? I would also like to have an IR Receiver that lights an LED so I know it is receiving a signal (the geek in me needs that ). I have seen circuits for UIRT and UIRT2, and could build these. I also like some of the USB circuits, but I am not wild about building the programmer for them. The serial port receivers are simple and easy, but not too many PC's are being sold with serial ports on them these days.

Opinions?

TIA!!!

Beans

Re: Remote Controls

This is the best remote i have ever used with mythtv:

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

It's keys are all assignable however you want. By default InfoEPG key is mapped to "i" (INFO in mythtv) and LiveTV is mapped to F16 (TV Guide in Mythtv). However you can assign them as you please.

It's damned cheap (USD13 delivered anywhere in the world!) and the driver works well. The author is often updating and improving it.

So not quite what you are after, but I recommend giving it a try as $13 isn't much to waste if you don't like it.

Beans

I am very happy with my Logitech Harmony 600. If you have a remote with enough keys, you can program them on the Harmony. Ex. program the "Info" key to act like the "green" key on your old remote. That way you won't have to mess with setting up a new IR receiver. The added advantage is it can replace most, if not all of your other remotes.

They are normally a little pricey, but I was able to pick mine up on sale for 30 Euro.

Beans
    Distro

Nick,

The sapphire remote looks good. Does the receiver give you feedback with an illuminated LED? Also, is the remote and receiver supported in 12.04, or do you have to load the driver the author speaks about?

Beans
    Distro

Any other ideas folks?

What remote are you using and why do you like it?

USB receiver?

Serial home built receiver?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jlp_engineer View Post
    Nick,

The sapphire remote looks good. Does the receiver give you feedback with an illuminated LED? Also, is the remote and receiver supported in 12.04, or do you have to load the driver the author speaks about?
    No feedback.

Driver is not in the kernel or packaged for mythbuntu. However installation is as easy as it says on his web page, download, tar xzvf, cd , sudo make install

Works straight away, no need for reboot.

Beans

http://store.hauppauge.com/accessori...uct=mce_remote

Works with the lirc mceusb driver and the IR receiver has an activity LED.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueBlooded View Post
    http://store.hauppauge.com/accessori...uct=mce_remote

Works with the lirc mceusb driver and the IR receiver has an activity LED.
    In the mce remotes, I prefer the Pinnacle's transceiver; I've had two of the above fail over time while the Pinnacles keep going strong.

However, I've abandoned all IR remotes out of unresolved frustration, in favor of RF mini-keyboards like the one I reviewed in the "Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware" thread. I still use mce transceivers for blasting (which they perform very reliably).
    Last edited by anonymousdog; June 22nd, 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Good suggestions everyone... I have some research to do on them to see how well each is supported in MythTV.

I have another related question, so I am hoping some one reads this and can answer this one:

What keyboard button do you press to bring up the EPG (listings) while you are watching LiveTV. The command key reference for MythTV says this is the letter "M", but when I press this, all I get is a menu. Don't want the menu! I want the TV listings. Same as what the PVR-150 remote gives me when I press the button labeled "guide". Is it an unlisted key or sequence?
    Last edited by jlp_engineer; June 22nd, 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

To see what is actually set. Fire up mythweb and navigate to http://<your IP>/mythweb/settings/mythtv/keys
    On mine. It's capital "S"

You can add your own key combo's, but you also need to map the keys to remote buttons in /.lirc/mythtv

Have a look in this MCE lirc file
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote_LIRC_Config

Lester
    Last edited by Lester_Burnham; June 22nd, 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Checked my system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast