Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to install W7 using iso files - need a lot of help...

Beans

Attempting to install W7 using iso files - need a lot of help...

I believe this describes what I'm trying to do: http://blog.hostonnet.com/how-to-ins...urnning-a-disc

This is my first time doing something like this and I'm afraid of messing up my partitions and what not.

Here's what I'm trying to do: Install Windows 7 (Not sure if i'm dual booting or clean installing yet). I currently run Ubuntu 12.04 Precise. I have the .iso file for Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm used to using Daemon Tools when I used to run windows, but I cannot get that to work for Ubuntu. I've tried using isoMaster (or something like that) and GMountIso but I cannot get them to work.

Can someone give me a simplified guide of how I can get this to work?

Beans

Re: Attempting to install W7 using iso files - need a lot of help...

Bump..does anyone know how to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've never tried what you are attempting, but I don't see why'd you need Daemon Tools, Furious ISO Mount, or anything else. The instructions clearly show you how to mount the ISO as a loop device.

Is there something specific you are having trouble with?

As for whether or not this will "mess up" your partitions, I can't really answer that, but it's definitely possible when installing additional operating systems on the same disk, so, I'd highly recommend backing up any important data.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kanikilu View Post
    I've never tried what you are attempting, but I don't see why'd you need Daemon Tools, Furious ISO Mount, or anything else. The instructions clearly show you how to mount the ISO as a loop device.

Is there something specific you are having trouble with?

As for whether or not this will "mess up" your partitions, I can't really answer that, but it's definitely possible when installing additional operating systems on the same disk, so, I'd highly recommend backing up any important data.
    I need to boot from the ISO I mount..if I use the loop device do I just set my BIOS to boot from disk and it works..?

I don't really understand that part. In daemon you can actually run the iso and I could do a dual boot without ever "leaving" ubuntu. It seems that loop device would mean that I'd need to restart my computer and load up into my iso files to install W7..

When I try using any of the iso programs or even the loop device I get some "mount point is specified as read-only" or something no matter what directory I try to mount to..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

An easier method is just to create a USB stick with the Windows .iso on it in bootable format:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-...-ubuntu-linux/
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    An easier method is just to create a USB stick with the Windows .iso on it in bootable format:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-...-ubuntu-linux/
    I don't have a USB stick that has up to 4GB of space, therefore I must use the mount method. Already thought of..thanks though.

Edit: Not to mention over 50% of the comments on that article state that it doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had a look at the tutorial you linked to and I don't see any problems with it.

Where exactly are you getting stuck?
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I've had a look at the tutorial you linked to and I don't see any problems with it.

Where exactly are you getting stuck?
    Saving the first program to my root directory - cannot read or save to because permissions are denied?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You mentioned not wanting to mess up your partitions, but you didn't say if you have set aside some unallocated space to install Win7. The Win7 installer will NOT be able to make any sense of Linux filesystem partitions. If your drive is full with them, the installer will not work.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You mentioned not wanting to mess up your partitions, but you didn't say if you have set aside some unallocated space to install Win7. The Win7 installer will NOT be able to make any sense of Linux filesystem partitions. If your drive is full with them, the installer will not work.
    I haven't even done that. I don't know where to start.

Could I do a clean install without partitioning space?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast