Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skype for Linux 4.0 released

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Skype for Linux 4.0 released

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    What would be really awesome is if there were an actual 64 bit build available, not just a package with "amd64" in the name

... so that we didn't also have to install half of the i386 repo as multiarch.
    With so many people still running i386 on 64-bit capable cpu's, it will be quite a while before we see a purely 64-bit version on many multi-platform programs.
    If we could get all the people that are still running 32-bit oses to switch to 64-bit operating systems, we might see pure 64-bit applications, sooner, rather than later

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Unfortunately this is me, I had switched my processor to 64bit just recently and did an upgrade on my distro but forgot about that when downloading and installing the upgrade. :\ Perhaps next time...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    With so many people still running i386 on 64-bit capable cpu's, it will be quite a while before we see a purely 64-bit version on many multi-platform programs.
    If we could get all the people that are still running 32-bit oses to switch to 64-bit operating systems, we might see pure 64-bit applications, sooner, rather than later
    Most new PC desktops/notebooks ship with at least 4GB RAM, making the use of i386 suboptimal. Microsoft has 64 bit versions of Office available, Adobe has 64 bit versions of several of their flagship products (eg. Photoshop & co.) available. Apple has had 64 bit app support for years.

I can't understand why Skype can't simply release a 64 bit build. It's not like they're unfamiliar with Linux, since they run their Postgres DB servers on Linux - and I'd be doubtful if they're 32 bit systems with < 4GB RAM.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123