Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skype for Linux 4.0 released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Skype for Linux 4.0 released

http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2012/06...for_linux.html

32/64 bits debs available for Ubuntu 10.04 (wtf?), Debian 6.0, and 32 bit packages available for Fedora 16 (again, wtf?) and OpenSuse 12.1.

Hopefully we get this in the partner repos for Quantal (and backported too would be nice).

PS: The 64 bit packages are still actually a 32-bit ELF, and as such need about eleventy billion i386 packages installed on amd64 boxes (multiarch).
    Last edited by pressureman; June 14th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Skype for Linux 4.0 released

244 extra packages later I have skype 4.0 working here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

A lot of good stuff added but a lot of good stuff were also remove for no reason it seems. And there are bugs in this version.

> There is no pause call option in the new Skype now.

> There is no double size window now, therefore your own cam cannot be resized like before (although you can now stretch the window your cam size cannot be adjusted at all anymore)

> There is no right click menu on the video screen option anymore.

> There is a bug right now in Skype which is really annoying, if you set your calls to automatically answer and someone calls you, a notification will pop up and you will pick up automatically. However trying to close the notification closes the call window completely, and hitting the answer button does nothing, while hitting the end button hangs up the call. There is no way to disable the notification as I know of right now as the option has been grayed out.

> My mic is now randomly going out and making me switch channels on it as well. Not sure what's even going on there.

A lot of good stuff too, I won't go into it but there are many improvements in performance and video calling as well as options. Good job overall to the Skype developers on Linux.
    Last edited by Gaygerbil; June 14th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

So far no issues here to report. A few items missing but over all OK.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Seems to be working well on my 10.04 box with gnome desktop after downloading from skype direct.

I think sound is clearer than in the old version from the repos, webcam works well, and I can not see anything at fault with it but time will tell how well it really works, after I have used it properly several times.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

If I'm not mistaken, it now supports HD video... it's still just as much a CPU hog as it always was though.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's nice to see that the Linux version is finally getting some updates...I though that Skype for Linux was dead for sure!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, it now supports HD video... it's still just as much a CPU hog as it always was though.
    How useful is that for a VOIP application which will still depend very much on internet speeds? Perhaps it will still give a better picture even at the remote end, but HD?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

It would be useful if it actually worked right. I don't think Skype can do anything for certain cams that have Linux drivers that aren't as good as their Window's counterparts. MY video quality is apparently still the same (not sure might be the person's internet) in general though my cam looks better offline in Windows than Linux.

Some more things I noticed in this new version, you can't double click on the cam window to go fullscreen anymore. WHY!?

Can't turn off other person's cam without ending the call as well like before.

Can't hit numbers really loudly in people's ears like before. :\
    Last edited by Gaygerbil; June 18th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And skype 4.0 for ubuntu 12.04?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast