Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need laptop advice - Mac vs. ThinkPad

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need laptop advice - Mac vs. ThinkPad

Tough to beat thinkpads in the long run. They are tough as nails, easy to work on and its not a problem to get under the hood.

On the other hand, the new apple rigs offer a lot for the price. Apple has first access to all the new technologies coming out of china.

I'm surprised you can't get a decent thinkpad for a lot cheaper though. They run decent sales on their website periodically and if you pair that with an employee purchase code (they're floating around and lenovo doesn't really bother checking) you can probably save a few hundred bucks.

Also if you call a sales rep and ask them to accelerate your order, they'll hook you up. IBM's customer service is outstanding.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    Also if you call a sales rep and ask them to accelerate your order, they'll hook you up. IBM's customer service is outstanding.
    The Thinkpads have nothing to do with IBM, they are Lenovo.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post

FWIW, Lenovo has always manufactured their laptops (to my knowledge so please feel free to correct me, but please be nice I'm fragile ) . I have a w520 and absolutely love it, it's astounding how easy it is to switch hard drives, I do it between classes, one has Ubuntu, the other Windows. I use the Windows for my English classes because sadly, I love Microsoft Offices UI. I love Lenovo's T/W series because they look so professional and are as someone said "tough as nails"! I could rant on and on about how much I love them. At the end of the day it comes down to form or function, in all honesty I don't think you could have picked two products that exemplify each.
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    FWIW, Lenovo has always manufactured their laptops (to my knowledge so please feel free to correct me, but please be nice I'm fragile ) . I have a w520 and absolutely love it, it's astounding how easy it is to switch hard drives, I do it between classes, one has Ubuntu, the other Windows. I use the Windows for my English classes because sadly, I love Microsoft Offices UI. I love Lenovo's T/W series because they look so professional and are as someone said "tough as nails"! I could rant on and on about how much I love them. At the end of the day it comes down to form or function, in all honesty I don't think you could have picked two products that exemplify each.
    IBM sold the Laptop and Desktop Division to Lenovo in 2005.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tough to beat thinkpads in the long run. They are tough as nails, easy to work on and its not a problem to get under the hood.

On the other hand, the new apple rigs offer a lot for the price. Apple has first access to all the new technologies coming out of china.

I'm surprised you can't get a decent thinkpad for a lot cheaper though. They run decent sales on their website periodically and if you pair that with an employee purchase code (they're floating around and lenovo doesn't really bother checking) you can probably save a few hundred bucks.

You can get a decent ThinkPad for cheaper, but I want an i7, at least 8 GB of RAM, the highest resolution screen possible, and an SSD... Actually I found a W530 build that has all the options I want for an even $2000, might do that. Still though, a Retina Macbook Pro, if I settle for 8GB of ram is $2050...

The ability to easily upgrade Thinkpads, swappable batteries, durability, etc..., does make it very tempting as well. Not to mention the excellent Linux compatibility (last I checked, unless things have changed, Thinkpads are certified on Red Hat Linux, SUSE, and Ubuntu). Still would like more opinions, especially from KiwiNZ (I know you've used both and you like Apple!)...
    Last edited by Mikeb85; June 15th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IBM still provides support for Lenovo here in the states. Just called them last week.

Beans

IBM still provides support for Lenovo here in the states. Just called them last week.
    That is a finite service as part of the sale agreement.IBM get royalty payments from each sale That is extent of the involvement .

Beans
    Hidden!

I had to send in my T420 a few months ago and I didn't go through IBM at all. That may have been for older models shipped before the Lenovo takeover.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IBM sold the Laptop and Desktop Division to Lenovo in 2005.

True, but didn't Lenovo, or whoever they were called at the time, still manufacture the laptops for IBM?
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you care at all about screen quality, you will probably want the MBPR. If you care at all about typing, you will probably want the T430. You're welcome for my subjective opinion.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast