Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need laptop advice - Mac vs. ThinkPad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need laptop advice - Mac vs. ThinkPad

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by afixane View Post
    Umm, sorry a bit out of topic, but, why not system76?
    I hadn't seen all their options until just now. Just took a look, it'll be $1700 for the options I want, plus a Windows license (which I will need - I'll run it in VM though).
    But you will have to add the price of a Windows license to the MacBook as well

Beans

A Mac is better than a thinkpad, but not that good for the price. I say go with the mac, not the thinkpad.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Not really worried about RAM when you can upgrade to 16 GB for 200 dollars. The non-replaceable battery is slightly worrying.
    Not quite true on the RAM part unfortunately. Regular Macbook Pro can be upgraded from 4GB to 8GB (16GB actually, but Apple claims only 8GB). The newest with the retina display has RAM that is soldered in and cannot be upgraded as you can in the standard Macbook Pro. So, you either get the machine with the amount of RAM you will need in the future or you settle for the standard amount of RAM throughout its life.

Bonus with a Mac...look at used Mac prices. You can probably get much over half what you paid for it several years from now. Can't do that with any brand of PC I know of.

I have a regular Macbook Pro and love it. YMMV, but they really are solid machines.

Beans

Isn't the Mac a glossy screen? That's a killer in my experience, especially in lecture halls and spaces like that with lots of point lights that reflect int eh screen.

I really dislike the glued-shut aspect of the Mac. I've had enough batteries, memory units and drives die on me over the years that I do want to be able to replace stuff if I need to. Also, the Thinkpad keyboards have a well-deserved reputation for being the best you can get.

In the end, I just ordered a T430, with (probably) a bit higher specs than you; 16Gb, 2Gb NVIDIA graphics, an SSD and a second internal HD (for live backups and data storage) that I can swap for a second battery when traveling. Ended up a bit beyond your budget.

I used to bring and use my laptop everywhere, and on travel especially. But lately I mostly use the laptop on a desk, and it stays in the bag during travel so extreme portability is no longer as important to me. I have my phone and budget tablet for cafe surfing and travel use after all.

The screen is 900 pixels high which is lower than I'd like. On the other hand, 1800 pixels is too much - you pay for it with lower battery life and worse graphics performance. Either is workable, but one is on the low end, the other on the high. The perfect balance for a screen with this size and distance is about 1100-1200 pixels, but nobody seems interested in making those <rant>Why does everything have to be either budget or mine-is-bigger-than-yours posturing?</rant>

(edited for clarity)
    Last edited by JanneM; June 15th, 2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Edit for clarity

Beans

The Thinkpads are somewhat dated in design but they are robust and reliable. I have purchased many hundreds of these over the years and have had a very little failure rate.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I have purchased many hundreds of these over the years and have had a very little failure rate.
    that's why you had to purchase hundreds of them
    but seriously: i'd go with apple- good design, Unix operating system- but with long battery life etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    that's why you had to purchase hundreds of them
    but seriously: i'd go with apple- good design, Unix operating system- but with long battery life etc.
    I purchased hundreds for the large Enterprise I worked for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azangru View Post
    But you will have to add the price of a Windows license to the MacBook as well
    To put it in the same kind of self-centered terms I often see used here and in real life... "Why would I have to do that? I don't give a crap about Windows?"

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I purchased hundreds for the large Enterprise I worked for.
    Wait... you worked for Jim Kirk? (Can I have your autograph?)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post

Wait... you worked for Jim Kirk? (Can I have your autograph?)
    Strangely the CEO my direct report name was Jim

Beans

What's wrong with having a Linux laptop and an iMac for the desktop?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast