Thread: Black screen and no response after suspend or hibernate

Beans

Black screen and no response after suspend or hibernate

Since installing Ubuntu 12.04 my system is unable to suspend or hibernate correctly. Putting the computer to stand-by and copying the ram to the disk seems to work, but when resuming it ends up with a black screen (monitor even turns of after several searches for input).

The computer does not respond to any shortcut - or at least I cannot see anything. I will try to log in via ssh later.
    In launchpad a similar problem is listed, but refers to a issue with the AMD graphic driver. However I'm using a NVIDIA Geforce 7600GT. Installing the newest Ubuntu kernel updates and nvidia-driver has no effect.
    I prior used the latest release of Linux Mint with Mate; there were no problems at all - asides from a GUI that still needs some fixes in detail.
    In the pm-suspend.log I cannot find any abnormality, only the network-manager seems unable to put all processes to sleep.

Here some information about the system:
    Linux 3.2.0-25-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 23 20:30:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    NVIDIA Driver Version 295.49 X Server 11.0, Version 1.11.3 (11103000) Dual monitor 2x HP2309 as TwinView, connected to HDMI and DVI.
    The pm-logfiles are attached

Is this problem already known and are there any ways to solve it?
    Thanks in advance
    LJ
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Black screen and no response after suspend or hibernate

I have Win 7 dual boot and in the past have had to use the power button to awaken from sleep/suspend.The keyboard and mouse will not work to wake the computer in Ubuntu as they do in Windows.

Hard restart is not needed, but I do have to depress the power button slightly and the computer awakens. I have no need to hibernate, so I can't address that. Search for other threads on this problem because I have seen it posted before.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

the system restarts after pressing the power button, but afterwards I got the black screen.
    When resuming from hibernation I see the boot screen however the screen turns black after the ubuntu boot splash (the colored screen).

Differing from the other threads I have no problems with logging in or out (from unity).
    The screen stays black for a second and then the desktop is back again.
    I also have no problems with installing the nvidia driver - open gl and even games run smooth.

Edit: when the screen is black, neither ssh nor ping works

Edit2: Just updated to 3.2.0-26 kernel, but still no change
    Last edited by Mr LJ; June 16th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Beans

I all,

I have sometimes the same problem on optimus enabled laptop (but using only intel card).

It suspend/resume without problem few times and without reason another suspend breaks and I have a black screen...

I can switch to ctrl-alt-F1 and restart lightdm (service lightdm restart) and X restart without problem but I have lost my opened programs...

Annoying...

If someone have an idea...

Thanks in advance,

BR