Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WNA3100 Wireless Adapter issues

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: WNA3100 Wireless Adapter issues

You posted 3 hours ago and you wanted an instant reply? Sorry, but this forum is all volunteer. We do have other things going on in our lives as well. You are not supposed to bump a thread before 24 hours since your last post unless you are adding useful information to what has already been posted. We understand your frustration, but you need to be patient. As for your WND3100 being compatible - obviously not. Plug and play - that's a Windows term.

I wouldn't just rush out and get another adapter! You need to read the list of adapters that are known to work with Ubuntu first, and you need to know the chipset, not just make and model as sometimes the chipset changes.

As for the adapter you are trying now, the d-link, notice that it says the chipset is Atheros AR5523.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 07d1:3a08 D-Link System WUA-2340 RangeBooster G Adapter(rev.A) (no firmware) [Atheros AR5523]

Unless someone is using that adapter and posts how they got it working, what we have to do to answer your thread - and what you should be trying - is another search of the forum using:

12.04 d-linkWUA-2340 AR5523

and see what turns up. Then do a net search with the same search string. These steps are what we do to try to help you. Notice the link that wildmanne39 pointed you to posted by chili555? He didn't know that off the top of his head (well, wildmanne39 might have - he is an expert in this area ). We read all of those things to try to help you.

In addition, no matter what the thread you quoted said, you DON'T need to compile ndiswrapper. Notice the driver inf file they are using -

bcmwlhigh5.inf (as wildmanne39 said in the thread from chili555, this MUST be the 32-bit version. In scanning the thread I pointed you to, it appears no one has gotten the 64-bit version working.). In addition you need the actuall .sys file that is the driver as well.

I hope you read this:

Old March 25th, 2012 #2
    chili555
    Ubuntu addict and loving it

Beans: 13,690
    Send a message via AIM to chili555 Send a message via Yahoo to chili555

Re: WNA3100 Support
    Quote:
    Then I followed the guide up until ndiswrapper -l. I typed this in and it only showed the driver, not any hardware
    That suggests the .inf is incorrect for your device. Here is a better package that might work better.

I'd remove the current .inf:
    Code:

sudo ndiswrapper -e bcmwlhigh5

Wipe out all the vestiges of the old incorrect .inf:
    Code:

sudo rm -rf /etc/ndiswrapper/*

Download this file to your desktop and then right-click it and select Extract Here. Now do:
    Code:

sudo ndiswrapper -i Desktop/wna3100-drivers/bcmwlhigh5.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    iwconfig

Any improvement?
    Attached Files
    File Type: zip wna3100-drivers.zip (448.2 KB, 73 views)
    Registered Linux User #374501
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system." --Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    chili555 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

It's pretty self explanatory. Use 32-bit Ubuntu (the 64-bit version really doesn't gain you much in Linux - it's not Windows in that regard) as recommended. Follow the above steps if it works we have to do some other changes to make it "stick" between boots.

Again, there is NO NEED to compile ndiswrapper. What is in the 12.04 repositories is already 1.57-1. In addition, instead of using the command line for ndiswrapper, where one little misstep can lead to some work, install ndisgtk from the repositories as well:

- put the installation CD in the drive AFTER you are already running - we don't want to boot from it

- using "places", or the file/folder browser if you are using the default Unity desktop, navigate the CD to the /pool/main/n folder

- within that folder you will see 2 folders: ndisgtk and ndiswrapper - you need to install ndiswrapper fist:

navigate to the ndiswrapper folder
    double click on the ndiswrapper common file to begin it's installation and wait for it to finish
    double click on the ndiswrapper utils file to begin it's installation and wait for it to finish

- next, install ndisgtk:

navigate back 1 folder so you are again at the /pool/main/n folder
    go to the ndisgtk folder
    double click on the ndisgtk file to begin it's installation and wait for it to finish

- now you can use ndisgtk - a GUI front-end to ndiswrapper - just do the search in the Unity dash and run it

- point it to the driver files

- click the install/yes/ok whatever it is button

- this will install your driver. If updates are needed to the blacklist or to the "load these extra modules when you start" file /etc/modules so it will run when you reboot also, ndisgtk tries to take care of those as well.
    Last edited by anewguy; June 14th, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Beans

When I got Ubuntu, the main page said there were 20 million people who had downloaded the OS. Considering the fact that 1. Many of these are probably repeat downloads, and 2. Another lot may have given up on Linux altogether, even a hundredth of the original number would still make for a thriving community. And considering the advanced nature of the OS, atleast 1/5 of those people would know what they're doing, as i'm sure you do. And 20,000 people is a lot, even if at any given moment about 3/5ths of that number, or so, are offline. But so far my thread has gotten the attention of three others, and only one of them stuck around.

But enough of the rant.
    Check this link, 2nd from bottom. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...rdsNetgear#USB Here's your chipset too: Atheros AR9001U-2NX

EDIT: Also I did get ndiswrapper installed using another thread's instructions. So we have that.
    EDITEDIT: Also, yes, I did read that. But I gave up on the adapter because I don't want to use 32 bit Ubuntu in the first place. Mostly because 1. 64 bit is going to run faster, however slightly, for my computer and 2. Minecraft will crash much more often in 32 bit. I don't know why, but I don't really have the time or patience to test it further, but it always did so on 32 bit windows, and on a 64 bit system with 32 bit java installed, etc.
    Last edited by Relinies; June 14th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro

Wireless N, and did you notice it doesn't say 64-bit? You really aren't going to notice that much of a difference with Linux. Don't take things like performance and ratings for another OS and dump them into Linux - it's a different animal.

Also, I'm afraid I have to tell you that your posts are getting rather rude and arguementative. Have you TRIED any of the suggestions?

At this point, with the attitude you have presented, nobody will go out of their way to help you.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Wireless N, and did you notice it doesn't say 64-bit? You really aren't going to notice that much of a difference with Linux. Don't take things like performance and ratings for another OS and dump them into Linux - it's a different animal.

Also, I'm afraid I have to tell you that your posts are getting rather rude and arguementative. Have you TRIED any of the suggestions?

At this point, with the attitude you have presented, nobody will go out of their way to help you.

Good luck.
    I have tried MOST the suggestions, but you know, none of them have worked.
    As for my posts leaning toward rude/argumentative, that happens a lot to me. Particularly when **** doesn't work right. I would really like to try Ubuntu, but it's pretty useless to me without an internet connection.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread closed for staff review.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Hidden!

It can be frustrating when things don't work. It is however counter productive when these frustrations lead us down a path where we are not communicating efficiently.

@OP - As has been pointed out to you, the forum's are used by people who volunteer there time and effort. If they don't know the answer to your problem, or don't want to help then they won't.

Patience is key. For more direct interaction you can try IRC (http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/chat) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat) or you could always pay for support - (http://www.ubuntu.com/business/services/overview)

I am re-opening the thread for now and ask you all to review the CoC and to strive together to find the solution to the problem.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

I understand. Thank you.

Now following the given instructions on this thread to get my WUA-2340 working: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...adapter&page=3
    Started off at step 11, and the driver IS installed now, but I have an issue with step three. What exactly is a deb, and where can I get the one(s) I need? Whatever it is, it might be the reason for my current issue, being, it just won't work. Drivers installed, light won't start flashing (the "working" indicator). Since I'm just a newbie, I don't really know any other ways of detecting the device, but the other thing I did was check up on the icon in the upper right. No change.
    EDIT: Herpderpderp. They're installer files for Linux.
    Should've reread the thread sooner. So the debs are installers for ndiswrapper.

Okay, driver installed and now I have a new issue. The thing just won't work. No flashing light, no connections listed. I know the device is detected thanks to lsusb, but I don't have any idea how to make it detect connections. It's as though it isn't connected.

Finished reading the thread now, as it turns out they had the same problem I have now. And that was a thread started in 2008, with replies up to Jan 2011. It was never solved.
    Last edited by Relinies; June 15th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, we are going to try to get the second device to work, sorry that I was not on much yesterday I attended an online class for two hours about wireless drivers so I can better help people on the forum then I had to go to the Doctor.

I friend of mine the wireless expert has offered to help today so hopefully we can get this going.

Please give us a link to were you got the wireless drivers and post the output of:
    Code:
    lsmod
    sudo lshw
    ndiswrapper -l
    please tell us where you installed ndiswrapper from.

The one you need is in the repositories and can be installed with synaptic or software center.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Wild Man; June 15th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Relinies View Post
    ...What exactly is a deb, and where can I get the one(s) I need?...
    If you do some background reading it will help you considerably with your new system. Firstly, you should know that Linux is not Windows and things are done differently here.

Secondly, by reading the Ubuntu documentation on InstallingSoftware, you will find that a "deb" is software (i.e. a program and its dependencies) packaged in the Debian format used by Ubuntu. These packages are held in "repositories" which are specifically for your version of Ubuntu. They can easily be installed, either from a GUI such as the Ubuntu Software Centre, the Synaptic Package Manager or a CLI command using the Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xxxx
    It may not have been mentioned yet but it is far easier to install and configure a Linux system with an Ethernet cable connected to your router. This connection should "just work" straight out of the box, connecting you to the internet, without any configuration needed. Once the system is installed and connected to the internet via a Ethernet cable, it is then far simpler to install wifi as any necessary drivers can often be installed automatically via the Hardware Drivers menu option. Even without the automatic driver install, the Ethernet cable allows the download of any packages required.

So, I suggest you plug a cable in and see if your system advises anything about hardware drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread closed. Please do not post duplicates, it dilutes community effort.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123