Thread: The real Xara Xtreme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The real Xara Xtreme

I like Xara and I became familiar with it initially during the Ubuntu Drake. In those days we had to make a go of building much of our software. I've built Xara from binaries, but today I wouldn't recommend that.

Today, in Ubuntu 11.10, XaraLX is listed in the Repositories as an installable .deb, however it has missing features. I fired up the installed Repository XaraLX and immediately noticed the application window was missing the menu bar. Previous installed Xara from .debs has not been able to print, nor has it been able to save out to any graphic file format except for .PNG. I uninstalled the Repository .deb version of Xara and downloaded the .package file from:

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

I dug around in the ubuntuforums.org archives to learn how to install a .package file:

archived ubuntu forums

And, I end up with an installed XaraLX with printing capabilities and a choice of graphic file exports.

Now, I must add that I have previously installed the dev code for things like ffmpeg, GTK+, the MS-core-fonts among other libs while making software for such things as Padre (IDE for perl scripting). My own build of ffmpeg because I wanted features for QuickTime video conversions. I give this caution and would think ffmpeg is a pre-requisite and perhaps ImageMagik.

Xara for Linux, version .07-update 1785 is about 70% complete as a program and I would think that will be the final version available ever. I do like the speed and ease of creating shaded artwork that Xara gives. Inkscape does have its purpose, but I find it clunky and slow. The saving grace of Inkscape is that it is programmable. Inkscape is prone to making flat 2D artwork.

I hope this helps you and that Xara will continue to be available for Linux.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans

Re: The real Xara Xtreme

Very good , you helped me a lot ,indeed
    Thanks again...