Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 12.04 esword greek nt modules show up as gibberish

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu 12.04 esword greek nt modules show up as gibberish

I have some greek modules installed on my installs of Ubuntu Unity 12.04, Debian Squeeze, and Lubuntu 11.10. They view fine. I have either e-Sword 9.7.2 or the latest e-Sword 10.1.

On Lubuntu 12.04 only the SBLGNT module views properly. The Nestle-Aland 26, and others do not view properly.

Due to issues with the "installer script" and search function not working, I installed e-Sword directly using the Wine Programs Loader and followed the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1920862 at post #2 by forrestcupp and had great results until Lubuntu 12.04.

I am wondering now if there is another tweak I can do through winetricks to get the greek modules working on 12.04?

On 11.10, Debian, and (Ubuntu Unity and Kubuntu 12.04) they just worked!

Forum at biblesupport.com suggests font problems with greek, but they appear independent of an OS. Strange that the font problem exists on one version of Ubuntu and not another.

In Lubuntu 12.04 e-Sword fonts Titus cyberbitz basic greek seems to be barred out. On 12.04 Unity it is not barred out.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Last edited by ubume2; July 8th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 esword greek nt modules show up as gibberish

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    On Lubuntu 12.04 only the SBLGNT module views properly. The Nestle-Aland 26, and others do not view properly.
    What is displayed?

On my system, it looks like the wrong font encoding scheme is being used.

On 11.10, Debian, and (Ubuntu Unity and Kubuntu 12.04) they just worked!
    Whilst I don't see any obvious reasons why it would happen, I'm wondering if the window manager is affecting something in WINE? I know that xcfe has several quirks that effect programs in ways other window managers don't.

###

Can you highlight text in Bible or Dictionary resources?

Have you found any other issues in using e-Sword on 12.04?

I've finally started stress testing 10.1.0, and found a couple of other things that work with one version of Xubuntu, but not other versions.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Jonathon,

What is displayed?
    This is IGR-NT+

(Joh 3:16) G3779 G1063 FOR SO G25 [G5656] G3588 LOVED G2316 GOD G3588 THE G2889 WORLD G5620 G3588 THAT G5207 G846 HIS SON G3588 THE G3439 ONLY BEGOTTEN G1325 [G5656] HE GAVE, G2443 THAT G3956 EVERYONE G3588 WHO G4100 [G5723] BELIEVES G1519 ON G846 G3361 HIM G622 [G5643] MAY NOT PERISH, G235 BUT G2192 [G5725] MAY HAVE G2222 LIFE G166 ETERNAL.

The strong # pop ups do render greek properly.

Yes, I can copy/paste in 12.04.

I am not able to download modules in any of them. When I had Ubuntu 10.04 I believe I could do that. I save my modules and copy and paste them when installing a new distro, so haven't used the download option much.

I haven't noticed any other issues with E-Sword 10.1

Thanks for the effort from you and davidkt to make this most excellent app available in Linux.
    Last edited by ubume2; June 17th, 2012 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

greek fonts are garbled as above in Arch Linux GNOME, LXDE, and XFCE

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    greek fonts are garbled as above in Arch Linux GNOME, LXDE, and XFCE
    From here, it looks like a "simple" character encoding issue.

Where the issue/bug lies, I can't tell.

Not all versions of WINE generate that error. However, I could not tell which version of WINE I was using, when I didn't see that error.
    [Synaptic was showing that I had three different versions of WINE installed: 1.2, 1.4.2 (I think), and 1.5.6. ]

Not all Greek resources display garbled text. This implies that there is a difference in either the character encoding used within the resource, or how the resource was constructed.

I'm trying various options, in an attempt to find something that works.

jonathon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As I recall, I don't think I had the problem when only wine 1.0.1 and 1.2 was an option.(On 10.04).

With the newer distros 1.2 can't be installed without 1.4.

Beans

Has anyone found a fix for this yet. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and everything works pretty good except for the Greek fonts. Strongs works but TR+ and other Greek texts do not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1689 View Post
    Has anyone found a fix for this yet. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and everything works pretty good except for the Greek fonts. Strongs works but TR+ and other Greek texts do not.
    I don't know of any fix at this time. For some reason, all of the greek modules work on my 12.04 (Unity) install, but they do not work on Lubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04. It looks like the same version of wine is installed on all three.

These modules DO work for me on Xubuntu (to which I am slowly transitioning) and Lubuntu: SBLGNT & WH +TVM. I think Josh authored these. If I could get Nestle-Aland to work on Xubuntu, I would be happy.

Good luck. Keep us informed if you find one that works.
    Last edited by ubume2; August 21st, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

hi there,
    i have the same issue. installed latest ubuntu and wine 1.4
    greek text for GNT TR and GNT WH does not display. the strong's number are fine and commentaries also show greek text no worries. same applies for the hebrew OT (HOT+)

also, i am not able to conduct any search. has any one had any solution to these issues?
    cheers,
    Last edited by padeco; September 4th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by padeco View Post
    hi there,
    greek text for GNT TR and GNT WH does not display.
    Most of the user-created resources in Biblical languages have to be reconstructed, to display properly in e-Sword 10.1.x. The issue is that they weren't constructed correctly to begin with, but e-Sword 10.0.x, and earlier managed to overlook the faulty construction of those rsources.

When correctly constructed search can be done in Biblical languages. At least one Windows systems. There is an issue with either e-Sword or Wine 1.4 that periodically prevents search from working as expected, when using e-Sword under Wine, and CrossOver.

jonathon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast