Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win7 fails to boot on a dual-boot system after partition move

Beans

Re: Win7 fails to boot on a dual-boot system after partition move

I assume you have already run both commands (update and reconfigure), and still not working.

Have you checked if the Windows partition is Primary? Use testdisk to check and eventually repair the status of your partition table... Perhaps the problem is there. I think it is worth before re-installing.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Beans

I followed window's own advice and used the 'repair my computer' tool from the windows DVD. I had prepared myself to having to re-install grub, but this time I was pleasantly surprised by windows: the fix took less than a mintue, and when it finished, my grub menu remained intact, and I am now able to load both windows and linux again as before.

Beans

Good news, Congratulations!!!

You were right, it was not grub, but Windows itself. Likely it was needing something at the very beginning of the partition which was lost after moving it...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by okok View Post
    I followed window's own advice and used the 'repair my computer' tool from the windows DVD. I had prepared myself to having to re-install grub, but this time I was pleasantly surprised by windows: the fix took less than a mintue, and when it finished, my grub menu remained intact, and I am now able to load both windows and linux again as before.
    Well trust Windows to never play by the rules and prove everyone wrong.

Obviously windows was able to fix it with out fully replacing the boot loader. The Windows boot loader will allow you to boot multiple Windows installs, but not Linux. Thus I was expecting that if it replaced grub then you'd have to re-install grub. Been there done that all before to day.

Oh well all good for you then. Be sure to mark your post as Solved.
    Ubuntu 12.04
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.
    TrinhamTechnologies.com.au

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good... you solved your problem.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by okok View Post
    So, you learned a valuable lesson: do NOT use Linux filesystem tools to mess around with Windows filesystems. Doing so can render your Windows filesystems unbootable.

You could have done all of this safely using Windows filesystem tools -- and not only the ones from Microsoft. There are FREE, downloadable Windows filesystem partitioning tools -- which would have done this without corrupting the Windows boot.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You could have done all of this safely using Windows filesystem tools -- and not only the ones from Microsoft. There are FREE, downloadable Windows filesystem partitioning tools -- which would have done this without corrupting the Windows boot.
    Possibly, but as far as I know, at least the built-in tools aren't capable of handling non-microsoft file systems, so they might not be of help where changes to other partitions are necessary too. In this case I could, perhaps, do some of the tasks from within windows and some using linux tools.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12