Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Who here is happy with Vista?

Beans

Re: Who here is happy with Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp
    Honestly, though, people. How many of you really rely on your computer to watch DVD's. I don't know about you, but I prefer to watch my movies on a big TV with loud surround sound and a comfortable chair. The only DVD's I play on my computer are my 2 year old boy's kids movies because we don't want him hogging the TV all the time.
    Ever hear of HTPCs?
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Having tested it for a month I can say, Ill never run it (not that I run any MSFT OS) in any capacity.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by tsb
    Ever hear of HTPCs?

How many people actually have them?

Beans

Here is my take on Vista. To be fair it is Beta so I am reserving my final judgement for the final release.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...2&postcount=32

For those of you that think the eye candy is better in Vista than Compiz let me let you in on a little secret. Aero has a lot of polish but is technically limited to the features it has now. There is no plugin system to add new or better effects and it is a huge resource hog.

Compiz on the other hand is actually very light on the resources and is expandable by creating new plugins. Compiz is also capable of much better effects than Aero by a mile. I have been using Compiz since the week it was released for public testing and the improvements have been swift and awe inspiring. Aero will be behind Compiz in 07 when it is released.

Also the people who really seem excited about Vista in this thread have only commented that it looks prettier. I don't care how pretty a operating system is when it makes my Athlon64 3200 with 1 gig of quality RAM and a 7600GT perform worse than my 1.2 ghz celly with onboard Intel graphics and 256 ram running XP. That is unacceptable and it will cause Vista to flop if they do not fix it before final release.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

to the poster above that isn't a surprise to me. Open source programs are always more flexible then closed source. Thanks to my good friends at Microsoft I'm going to be running this O.S. regardless of how bad it is, at least we know that they are improving

Beans

i think you'll find a fair amount of users watch dvd's on their PC
    i for one (like many college students) don't have a TV.
    i have a nice 24" wide LCD monitor thoug (dell 2407fpw)
    Thinkpad T400 | 14.1" LED Screen | Core 2 Duo T9400 | 3GB DDR3 | 320GB WD HD | intel 5300 | ATI 3470 & Intel 4500 GFX
    i7 920 | ASUS P6T DLX | 6GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 260 (216)

Beans

Yep, it is. I'm in no way willing to embrace it by supporting a company, who in tandem with the RIAA, wants to use it to restrict my rights to my fair-use of media which I have legally acquired.
    There is no benevolent intention with DRM.
    Vista will never see the light of day in my household
    This is EXACTLY how i feel. Someone told me a long time ago that microsoft was big brother. I diddn't exactly like microsoft, but at least i trusted them. Now i don't trust them, just as they don't trust their own customers. They put monitoring systems on your computer, and copy protections. "Trusted" computing will give control to "trusted" entities (corporations). It makes it sound like something that is made for the end user, ie, you can run things that you trust, keeping bad things off your computer. But it's the other way around. *They* will decide what *YOU* will trust, and what you wont trust. Therefore if they decide that there is a "security" problem with mp3 files, then they can use trusted computing simply not trust any mp3 file rendering your whole collection of mp3's useless.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567