Thread: Avira Antivirus for Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans

Question Avira Antivirus for Ubuntu 12.04?

I have the command line scanner, but I can't use avguard because I do not have dazuko. The latest version of dazuko is for a 2.6 kernel of ubuntu, and I have like 3.2 kernel Avira's installer's version of dazuko also is not compatible with my version of ubuntu. Has anyone created a workaround to this problem? Is there another antivirus out there that provides the protection that avguard claims? Or should I just be happy with merely a command line scanner and my default ubuntu firewall? I've tried avast before and it caused fatal errors in my OS. I just want to know what to do now because I feel naked without a complete antivirus package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Avira Antivirus for Ubuntu 12.04?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saget View Post
    I have the command line scanner, but I can't use avguard because I do not have dazuko. The latest version of dazuko is for a 2.6 kernel of ubuntu, and I have like 3.2 kernel Avira's installer's version of dazuko also is not compatible with my version of ubuntu. Has anyone created a workaround to this problem? Is there another antivirus out there that provides the protection that avguard claims? Or should I just be happy with merely a command line scanner and my default ubuntu firewall? I've tried avast before and it caused fatal errors in my OS. I just want to know what to do now because I feel naked without a complete antivirus package.
    Is this for scanning a windows partition?

Beans

And to add to Philinux's question, is this a personal computer or a computer used in a business, school, or some other organization?

Beans

You do know that all of those program do not improve the security of your Ubuntu box, there is no reason for you to feel "naked". AV programs for Linux scan only for Windows viruses and the only time it makes sense to use them is when you are dual-booting or transferring files between Ubuntu and another Windows machine. And even in those cases, if you have good AV on your Windows machine, you should be fine without AV for Linux (at least until AV software update their version to work with 12.04).

Generally speaking proprietary companies take some time to update their software to the latest kernel, but since 12.04 is such a major release, it shouldn't be long.

Beans

to answer these questions, it is a personal computer dualbooting with windows 7. I just recently started ubuntu to try something new, and I was going to use it to secure my ubuntu partition. I have avast internet security paired with advanced system care 5 pro for my windows partition. Not even rootkits make it past my windows security. I run tight ship on that one and just because linux is more secure than windows, I don't rule out the possibility of infection on linux, hence this entire ordeal. But if 12.04 just came out, then I guess that buys me time to wait for an update before I theoretically am vulnerable?

Beans
    Distro

to answer these questions, it is a personal computer dualbooting with windows 7. I just recently started ubuntu to try something new, and I was going to use it to secure my ubuntu partition. I have avast internet security paired with advanced system care 5 pro for my windows partition. Not even rootkits make it past my windows security. I run tight ship on that one and just because linux is more secure than windows, I don't rule out the possibility of infection on linux, hence this entire ordeal. But if 12.04 just came out, then I guess that buys me time to wait for an update before I theoretically am vulnerable?
    Skip to the Reality link first.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus

Beans

Point taken. Ubuntu itself is a tight ship.

Beans
    Distro

Point taken. Ubuntu itself is a tight ship.
    Indeed but you should still take proper precautions.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

Also see our security forum if you have any specific issues.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=338
    Last edited by philinux; June 12th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Beans

So my biggest danger is myself, which isn't much because I'm really hard to fool on windows. Once I learn more about Ubuntu, I'll have the knowledge to make the right decisions. Thanks for the enlightenment. Now I should probably go to sleep lol. There is always something going on in my job.