Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linksys WMP11 v2.7 / Broadcom BCM4303 Issue

Beans

Exclamation Re: Linksys WMP11 v2.7 / Broadcom BCM4303 Issue

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I just saw this: http://pkadetiloye.blogspot.com/2010...csifflags.htmlSee if anything changes:
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    I ran:

Code:
    sudo rm /dev/rfkill
    and rebooted.

When the computer restarted I ran:

Code:
    rfkill list all
    Nothing appeared. So, I reloaded b43legacy:

Code:
    sudo modprobe b43legacy
    Then I ran:

Code:
    rfkill list all
    And the same thing as before was listed:

Code:
    bedroom@bedroom:~$ rfkill list all 0: phy0: Wireless LAN     Soft blocked: no     Hard blocked: yes
    Other thoughts?

Beans

Bored.

Took the card out and inspected it closely, searching for any kind of switch. I didn't think there was one... and I was right. There is no hardware switch like laptop wireless cards have.

Switched the card to the other PCI slot (I only have two). Nothing changed. After reloading b43legacy and running "rfkill list all" it still shows the card hard blocked.

Since this is a hobby project I don't mind continuing to pursue a solution... if this were a daily use kind of computer I would have already run out and bought a different (more linux friendly) card!

I still hope to get this card working, though. Let me know what you think I should try next.

Cheers,
    Cody

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linksys WMP11 v2.7 / Broadcom BCM4303 Issue

I've worked on a couple of cases, not necessarily b43legacy, where a hard block was removed by resetting the BIOS to default. Please see attached. In the example, press F9 to reset to defaults and F10 to save and reboot. Your BIOS may be different, so check the menu at the bottom.

I am very low on ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I've worked on a couple of cases, not necessarily b43legacy, where a hard block was removed by resetting the BIOS to default. Please see attached. In the example, press F9 to reset to defaults and F10 to save and reboot. Your BIOS may be different, so check the menu at the bottom.

I am very low on ideas.
    I looked around in the BIOS and didn't see any setting that might hardblock my card, but I didn't try resetting to defaults yet. I will try that next. If that doesn't work, I will install an old copy of Windows XP that I have on this machine. That way I can verify whether or not the card itself is busted. If that works, my next step will be to install Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin on the machine, and see if that fixes the issue perhaps.

I will let you know how all of that goes. If you have any other ideas let me know. I am suspecting that the card is bad, but we will know for sure after I get Windows XP up and running. If it works in Windows, then we know it isn't the hardware itself.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,
    Cody

Beans

SOLVED.

Not sure how to mark the thread as solved, though. I tried to edit my original post, but I didn't see where I could change the tag.

I installed Windows to verify that the card was sound (hardware-wise). I was able to connect using Windows, so that told me the card was good. Next, I installed 12.04 Precise Pangolin and updated everything through the update manager with my ethernet cable attached. I then rebooted and installed Synaptic (I love Synaptic, don't want to live in Ubuntu without it, personally) and installed b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43legacy-installer through synaptic. After that completed I saw wireless networks and was able to connect to my secured network on the first try.

Everything is now running great! I haven't restarted the machine yet, though. I am hoping this is permanent and not just a fluke!!

Thanks for your help, Chili. I hope this thread helps others in some way. My solution was to upgrade from Maverick Meerkat (10.10) to Precise Pangolin (12.04).

Cheers,
    Cody

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linksys WMP11 v2.7 / Broadcom BCM4303 Issue

Awesome! Great news. Thanks for your persistence and explanation.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12