Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: new nic has no ip 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: new nic has no ip 12.04

Yes, I think will get done eventually.
    Everyone at school (teachers in my office) was very impressed with Ubuntu and I dual booted one machine today to give them to use and get used to. It would make all of our jobs so much easier if all the classroom and office machines were Ubuntu and just the 6 student machines in the library winxp. Our standing server is going fast. I hope I get the new drives for it soon.
    ok:
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:950 error:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:950 error:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txquelen:0
    RX bytes:148807 (0148.8 KB) TX bytes:148807 (148.8 KB)
    typed...whew
    there is also a device called virbr0 I believe this is a modem card that was in the machine briefly, but was removed. it shows 0 activity and an ipof 192.168.122.255 mask 255.255.255.0

As nothing else is shown, I gues that's due to the staic ip being out of range of the ip's dealt by my router (192.168.........)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

That should show both your wired interfaces, eth0 and eth1 too, but it doesn't show any of them. Even without ip assigned they should show.

Double check /etc/network/interfaces. Do you have the auto ethX lines? Without it the interface doesn't activate.

It might be a driver issue, or similar, but it seems your network interfaces are not activated. Right now it's normal that the ping returns no reply.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I took a few days away from it, got some rest. I decided to do a fresh install with 12.04 server, I added desktop, and everything went fine. I received a later driver version from TP-Link and the aurun.sh installed it perfectly. eth0 is on the internet.
    I am wondering whether the attempt to do a test bench at home is a valid idea. I do prefer to work at home, but trying to set up with both nic using dhcp seems potentially troublesome. I do have the key and permission to use the server room at school. During any time. I could take the server there and try to set it up using the actual fiber connection and use the actual static ip, etc, as well as connecting to the actual LAN.
    According to the readme file for the nic, I should add commands to the /etc/network/interfaces file similar to:
    "a. eth0"
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=ethernet
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0 (atual is 255.255.255.248 =2[not sure why the =2])
    IPADDR=192.168.1.1(will use actual)
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.254(will use actual for all)
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

"b. eth1"
    DEVICE=eth1
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes

Not sure if this is correct or sufficient.

Beans
    Distro

I am not familiar with that kind of setting up the interfaces, so I can't say anything for or against it.
    In the /etc/network/interfaces I use:
    Code:
    auto ethX
    iface ethX inet static
       address x.x.x.x
       netmask x.x.x.x
       gateway x.x.x.x
       dns-nameservers x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
    That would be all. But there will be small differences for eth0 and eth1. Lets assume this:
    eth0 is WAN (fibre connection)
    eth1 is LAN

On both interfaces you would use static IP because a server wouldn't have dhcp even on the LAN, you can't afford your server changing the IP sometimes automatically. So, on eth0 you would have public static IP depending on the fibre connection settings, and on eth1 you would have private static IP depending on the range your LAN is running.

The gateway and dns-nameservers are set up only on eth0 since that will be the connection towards the WAN (internet).
    On eth1 you set up only address and netmask so that it belongs to the LAN range.

That should be sufficient to get it running.

If this server needs to be a router for the rest of the computers on the LAN, firewall for them, etc, you set it up later one step at a time.
    The first main step is to make it work with the eth0 and eth1 settings, to confirm the server has internet connection through the fibre, and that the computers on the LAN can ping the server private IP.

After that you can deal with the roles you want to assign to your server one by one.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

excellant!! Yes the sever will be a router, a firewall, a webhost, a database, and possible dns server. As you said, one step at a time.

This o/s seems to have a self checking feature, when I started # gedit /interfaces in /etc/network I received error warning in the terminal:
    (gedit:2919): Glib-GIO-WARNING **: Missing callback called fullpath = /root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

should this go in interfaces? Should "xbel" have a value for "x" ?

I plan on using Firestarter, the gui based firewall. If so should I disable apparmor first?

Beans
    Distro

You need to edit interfaces with sudo, if using gedit better with gksu (the version for GUI programs). I usually use nano and don't have gedit installed on a server, but you can use it if it's easier for you.

I think those errors about gedit are not important, I have seen similar ones and still editing the file works. But open it for editing with:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    After you make the changes and save and close the file, you will need to either restart the server or the network with:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    After that the interfaces should work with the new configuration.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PM. This old server runs freebsd, so I assume this accounts for some differences.
    I am confused that the LAN addresses seem to be public, but not sure. also not sure how much of this needs to be in /interfaces of the new server, and if it is in a usable form.
    If the current setup is less than Ideal, I will have to learn more before I change it. Right now, I want a server I can just swap in to replace our old one. The old one may go back in, and for some reason, the net-admin is desiring to put a switch at the fiber interface and try to run both servers and (I assume) split the network. I wish my Thai was better, sowe could discuss it.

Beans
    Distro

For the interface towards the WAN, consult your admin too. The info can help you determine the correct settings.

In reality it's very simple.
    The address will be assigned by your admin.
    The netmask is 255.255.255.248 according to your PM.
    The gateway will also be advised by your admin.
    The dns-nameservers also.

That is all you need for the WAN and after you have those settings entered, the server should have internet access if connected correctly.

On the LAN side, the address and netmask will depend on the range running on your LAN. It should match the current setup and I can't see why there would be public IPs on the LAN. Make sure when talking about LAN, we are not simply talking about the network port and the cables, we are actually talking about the network port that will be connected to your internal network. From that point of view, it shouldn't have a public IP, only a private one.
    If you are still confused what IP to use, again the admin can clear this up for you, he can advise you what to use for your network.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The school changed the isp several times and the Ubuntu machine was parked. Recently they've gone to a fast ADSL line with a PPPoe router/modem. The current thinking is to get an enterprise firewall/router to handle the security and put the Ubuntu server in as a DNS cache, and other duties. I've got the same ISP at home as the school does now, so I brought it home and formatted it, put a fresh copy of 12.04 server (32bit) and am trying to set that up. I'm trying modem/router-server-switch-laptop first. I've got the two machines to ping each other. eth0 is dhcp and gets on internet fine, other nic ended up as eth2. It's set as 10.10.0.1 on 255.255.255.0 and the DNS 192.168.1.1. The laptop is on 10.10.0.100, as you suggested previously, with 255.255.255.0 and DNS 192.168.1.1 .
    They ping each other ok, but even though I tried the next suggestion about portforwarding eth2 which was in the same posting, there is no pass through to the internet for the laptop.
    I've heard that we could change topology to router/modem-switch-server and switch-LAN perhaps directing the client windows machines to 127.0.0.1 and use just the one NIC (eth0). The Thai teacher I work with who is in charge of the nework (not a qualified admin, however). doesn't get that, and I haven't done that before.
    The router we want to get provides for assigning static ip's on the LAN.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Darko, hope you are still around. After many hours I got the nic card drivers properly in, and used your suggestions about a static 10.10.0.1 etc. and when I used the ...POSTROUTING...command it worked and laptop got on the internet! So what needs to be done to make the ip tables changes permanent??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast