Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS Talk! Your best light operating systems?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: OS Talk! Your best light operating systems?

SliTaz 4.0
    No longer participating......

Beans

Sabayon is not light by any means though, it features a TON of pre-intsalled software.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Lightbulb Re: OS Talk! Your best light operating systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Sabayon is not light by any means though, it features a TON of pre-intsalled software.
    I installed the CoreDX Spin and FluxBox. Then, only the apps and features I want, just like on Arch Linux. My Sabayon is very Light.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I installed the CoreDX Spin and FluxBox. Then, only the apps and features I want, just like on Arch Linux. My Sabayon is very Light.

Tim
    Nice. I meant the standard GNOME/KDE installs.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

None of the operating systems people are talking about here are really light. They are all Linux based, and Linux is a modern, full featured OS. What you are talking about is distros that come with light software by default. You can use minimalist software on Ubuntu and it will be lighter than someone using Gnome on Arch. The distro makes little difference.

Beans

antiX is lite in all its flavours.
    Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways - the point is to change it.

antiX "Edelweißpiraten" - lean and mean. http://antix.mepis.com

Beans

The easiest way to get the lightest possible system is with Arch. Just install what you need, using the infinitely helpful Arch Wiki. I always use SLiM with a light DE or WM.

It's all fun to me, but I always end up wanting a distro that doesn't need a lot of work to get running so that I can get to work. If that's the case, go with Lubuntu, Fedora LXDE, openSUSE xfce, Debian, Puppy, list goes on... The choice we have as Linux users is what sets our OS apart.

My personal favorite though is OpenSUSE with xfce, it always runs slightly above 100mb of ram after booting and is very stable. I use it on my old laptop. The main reason I like it though is that it's openSUSE.
    Last edited by LeGasp; June 14th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My latest installs have been Ubuntu minimal with xfce4 as the DE and only required apps. Zippy and loving it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

wow alot of responses to this. thanks. since i mainly test alot out. i will tell you all that for not being debian/ubuntu bridge linux flies i am thinking about trying to keep it on one partition to learn more about non debian/ubuntu builds. after installed it only took up 67mb ram out of my 1gb. nice. mostly other light ones take around 105-125 at least 125 being zorin lite even and wattos is at 105 i believe as well. bodhi runs at about 90 i think it was. i just like so much memory being available because i play warzone and other shooter games and never want any lag out of only 1gb.

i have made a final decision to keep 3 os's and the reason 3 is because i use one for games ONLY to make sure they zip, the other for clutter and daily use and the third one simply for working with kompozer, bluefish, modeling programs etc for making some websites and as a good backup in case something happens. i do alot of it.

it is ridiculous how much my hard drive switches os's LOL. I don't use VM especially with only 1gb. i heard on another post it can be slow. besides livecd with usb flash works fine anyway
    Last edited by slixz85; June 14th, 2012 at 05:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    My latest installs have been Ubuntu minimal with xfce4 as the DE and only required apps. Zippy and loving it.
    that is cool i am sure you had wired connection. i have wifi only available sharing it. in case i am missing something, is the lightest system i am probably going to find bodhi (400mb) and such for being KINDA bare for mainstream and including the wifi drivers?
    that is mainly what i want is THE SMALLEST with out of box support for my wifi device r8712u

slitaz 4.0 (not ubuntu i know) (only 35mb WOW) is very nice but I can't get the wifi to work on it. it seems the load and unload buttons for the driver does nothing. i would like to install slitaz to my hard drive but WILL NOT be stuck with no internet connection if the boot loader fails to show my other os's since i am unskilled at that and pretty much i just gotta find a wifi fix for slitaz first.

it is obvious i dont know a ton about linux so here goes a quick question also for you linux gearheads... if i do install slitaz on one of the partitions and say i find a fix for wifi so i am satisfied with it, do you guys know if games could be found and installed such as warzone alien-arena and what not. i know the warzone installed on ubuntu is .deb packages but i can download the source tarball form warzone website. but could i get it installed on slitaz? i couldn't imagine the ram it would only take up when installed. it would be phenomenal.
    Last edited by slixz85; June 14th, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast