Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NAS or Cloud storage?

Beans

Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

With the amount of data I have, it makes 0 sense to use cloud services as my main means of backups. I like having control over the box I'm backing up to, even though I'm sure my data would be managed properly on Google's cloud servers. I work in IT so I suppose that comes by nature.

Quite honestly I'll likely always be running a NAS at home, especially now that I've set up video surveillance (Motion) on my property, so feeds are always being saved when things are moving. I put some thought into the hardware that went into that box, so it shouldn't be sucking down power like a top end gaming rig. Based on my watt meter and some usage estimates with the current electricity rate in my area, it should run me about 50 a year to power... a small price when you consider it's over the course of 12 months, but of course you still take a hit on the initial server cost too. I suppose it's a price I'd rather pay.

Having your own NAS doesn't do any justice in regard to a house fire, so the +1 there would go to cloud services. At the same token, cloud servers aren't 100% excluded from natural disasters either. But I suppose cloud services would still take the cake since timing is likely on their side:
    • NAS - House Fire - Chances are your server is gone.
    • Cloud - House Fire - The likelihood of cloud services magically losing your data during that time is slim/none, but it's always possible.

Pros and cons to each scenario, some that may sway you to cloud services or vice versa. Personal opinion: I'm never letting go of my NAS.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    At the same token, cloud servers aren't 100% excluded from natural disasters either. But I suppose cloud services would still take the cake since timing is likely on their side:
    • NAS - House Fire - Chances are your server is gone.
    • Cloud - House Fire - The likelihood of cloud services magically losing your data during that time is slim/none, but it's always possible.
    That's true, but a decent cloud service is going to have a lot of redundancy in different sites. So it would take a major national disaster, some crazy coincidence, or an intentional attack to accomplish the same thing a house fire would with an NAS.

But you're right that cloud storage isn't for everyone, especially if you deal with a lot of large files frequently. And I'm pretty sure you can get fireproof NAS drives, can't you?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123