Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: NAS or Cloud storage?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Beans
    671
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Question NAS or Cloud storage?

    Please help me choose

    I'm looking for a way to backup my photos (about 60 GB). I've been looking at a NAS or a cloud solution.

    NAS: D-Link ShareCenter Pulse DNS-320
    + 2 TB of space!
    + Pay ones 490,- USD
    + Home server for lots of videos/music/FTP/...
    + Ability to host a simple website (not sure if this one does that though)

    Google Storage:
    - 'Only' 100 GB of space
    + No power costs
    + Safe in case of fire
    - Monthly payment 4,99 USD (that's 8 years of service for the amount that the NAS costs)

    What do you guys think? or is there a third soultion?
    Last edited by MadsRH; June 12th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    It's a bit apples and oranges; one is likely more redundant, while the other offers increased storage. If your priority is guaranteeing the safety of your images, cloud storage and a local single drive backup might be best. My experience of budget home NAS' has not been stellar.

    Only you can decide.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,492
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    How much space do you really need?

    I have the 25GB SkyDrive connected to my Windows laptop and I set it so everything is saved in the SkyDrive for automatic backups (and accessibility). I am surprised that I have already used about 9GB of space! Six of those are just pictures!

    The Google solution provides the benefit of being accessible while away from home and as you mentioned, "house fire" protection.

    One down-side of Google is what is your bandwidth? Mine is slow so those 9GB in SkyDrive has taken a loooooong time (piece-by-piece) to synchronize. Plus, if you have to access the files from storage, that depends heavily on your bandwidth.

    Are you talking about Google Drive, or Picasa Web? I am curious because I have about 40gb of pictures to backup and right now I am using a networked hard drive solution but that is still vulnerable to house-fire, spiked electricity, and wear-and-tear. Plus I try to keep it "hidden" (or at least not obvious) in case of thieves roaming the house.

    Now, if you end up going for the Google solution, that doesn't mean you can't get a network accessible drive, or put an old tower (multiple drive slots) to work as a file server as a backup.

    I am very curious to what you go with, and how it works for you. I am also trying to figure out a good solution. I'm even tempted to see about Amazon's web services and what if something can be set up with OwnCloud (a file synchronization program in its infancy).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bordeaux, France
    Beans
    11,297
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    I would just burn them on a Blu-ray or put them on a SD card...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Beans
    671
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Wink Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    How much space do you really need?

    I have the 25GB SkyDrive connected to my Windows laptop and I set it so everything is saved in the SkyDrive for automatic backups (and accessibility). I am surprised that I have already used about 9GB of space! Six of those are just pictures!

    The Google solution provides the benefit of being accessible while away from home and as you mentioned, "house fire" protection.

    One down-side of Google is what is your bandwidth? Mine is slow so those 9GB in SkyDrive has taken a loooooong time (piece-by-piece) to synchronize. Plus, if you have to access the files from storage, that depends heavily on your bandwidth.

    Are you talking about Google Drive, or Picasa Web? I am curious because I have about 40gb of pictures to backup and right now I am using a networked hard drive solution but that is still vulnerable to house-fire, spiked electricity, and wear-and-tear. Plus I try to keep it "hidden" (or at least not obvious) in case of thieves roaming the house.

    Now, if you end up going for the Google solution, that doesn't mean you can't get a network accessible drive, or put an old tower (multiple drive slots) to work as a file server as a backup.

    I am very curious to what you go with, and how it works for you. I am also trying to figure out a good solution. I'm even tempted to see about Amazon's web services and what if something can be set up with OwnCloud (a file synchronization program in its infancy).
    Thank you for that, you make many good points.

    Using old computers I already own with something like OwnCloud, have crossed my mind. It's got some cool features I would love, but it wouldn't be a very energy friendly solution with old PCs.

    It says "100 GB for Google Drive and Picasa (25 GB gmail)". Click THIS link and check it out

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    Like Dragonbite said, bandwidth is a huge one. An NAS will be a lot faster than the internet. But on the other hand, the Cloud is off site and will have redundancy. It won't be destroyed if there's a tornado or your house burns to the ground.

    You have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. If your files aren't huge, I would personally go the Cloud route, because it's probably a little safer. The only other thing to consider is what happens to your data when you stop paying? If you're using Google Drive or Dropbox, at least you'll still have a local copy.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,492
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadsRH View Post
    Thank you for that, you make many good points.

    Using old computers I already own with something like OwnCloud, have crossed my mind. It's got some cool features I would love, but it wouldn't be a very energy friendly solution with old PCs.

    It says "100 GB for Google Drive and Picasa (25 GB gmail)". Click THIS link and check it out
    If you could set up OnwCloud on something like Amazon web services or somewhere else it may open up to (virtually) unlimited space. Admittingly, I find Amazon's pricing confusing, but it looks like it is by the bandwidth used to after the initial upload it may peter down to a more reasonable price for maintenance.

    I've kinda moved away from PicasaWeb when I find all of my pictures in Google+! Most of these pics are family (kids) and I would rather not have them too public. Changing the visibility is not the most intuitive thing either. Unless they have improved that?

    For Example: I just tagged myself in my album via picasaweb.google.com and got +1d by somebody in Google+ which I am about as acquainted to as anybody here on these forums. I don't want my kids' names and pictures being hugely available.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; June 12th, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: For Example:
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,492
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    If you are just looking for backing up, another possible solution is CrashPlan.

    The software is freely available, cross-platform and allows unlimited backup between your computers. So you could have it backing up to a file server on your network automatically (or backup you desktop to your laptop, and vice verse).

    For a fee, you can also back up to their cloud location. This is in addition to the pc-to-pc backups. CrashPlan+ Unlimited=$3/mo (1 computer) and CrashPlan+ Family=$6/mo (1-10 computers).

    The nice thing about this is that if you have to restore any files you can do so from your local locations (at a faster rate), but if something catastrophic happens (house fire, theft, etc.) then when you get a new computer you install the software and restore from the cloud.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    734

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    Just get an external harddrive for like $50 then copy and paste all your photos onto it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Beans
    671
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: NAS or Cloud storage?

    Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Just get an external harddrive for like $50 then copy and paste all your photos onto it.
    That's what I'm doing at the moment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •