Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba Satellite L775D Keyboard and Sleep Issue - 12.04

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite L775D Keyboard and Sleep Issue - 12.04

I also have an L775D and having the same issues with Ubuntu 12.04. I noticed one of the posts above has a link to a Wiki that may have some helpful suggestions. I'll try to run through them tonight and see if anything helps. If I do go through them, I'll post my results here.

As far as the keyboard and mouse not working on start-up, In the last hour or so, every time I've rebooted the mouse and keyboard haven't worked. Every time I've shut down and booted, the mouse and keyboard have worked.

Edit: Good news in that the suspend fix works. It isn't perfect, but it is now usable. The only issue I've noticed so far after testing for 30 seconds is that if I select "Suspend" from the menu, the screen flickers and it goes into suspend. It then wakes up a few seconds later. However, if I close my lid, it appears to sleep properly until I open the lid.

Here's noobie code, written for a noobie, by a noobie...

Open a terminal window and type the following commands
    1. cd /etc/pm/sleep.d
    2. sudo gedit 20_custom-ehci_hcd
    3. if asked for password, enter it
    4. Copy the text from here and paste it into the gedit window
    5. Click the gedit Save button
    6. Close gedit
    7. sudo chmod 755 20_custom-ehci_hcd

You shouldn't be asked for your password here

Edit 2: Still no luck with the keyboard/mouse. I think the menu.lst has been replaced by grub.cfg in the recent versions of grub, but I can't find the appropriate line in there to edit.

Edit 3: I've confirmed that grub.cfg has replaced menu.lst. Also, I may have found the solution for the keyboard/mouse issue here. I'm dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows 7 and I used Grub Customizer to set up my booting options. I think these were the commands I used to install it:

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
    2. sudo apt-get update
    3. sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Once it is installed, run it. It'll take a few seconds to load. Once loaded, click the "Preferences" button. You should see a text box labeled, "Kernel options." Add "i8042.reset i8042.nomux" to it then save it.

Lastly, Fn F9 toggles the keyboard and mouse on and off. Clicking that sometimes fixes it, but I THINK it only fixes it if it booted "properly" but was already disabled. Take this with a grain of salt please.
    Last edited by Noggin; July 3rd, 2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: New Information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    I also have an L775D and having the same issues with Ubuntu 12.04. I noticed one of the posts above has a link to a Wiki that may have some helpful suggestions. I'll try to run through them tonight and see if anything helps. If I do go through them, I'll post my results here.

As far as the keyboard and mouse not working on start-up, In the last hour or so, every time I've rebooted the mouse and keyboard haven't worked. Every time I've shut down and booted, the mouse and keyboard have worked.

Edit: Good news in that the suspend fix works. It isn't perfect, but it is now usable. The only issue I've noticed so far after testing for 30 seconds is that if I select "Suspend" from the menu, the screen flickers and it goes into suspend. It then wakes up a few seconds later. However, if I close my lid, it appears to sleep properly until I open the lid.

Here's noobie code, written for a noobie, by a noobie...

Open a terminal window and type the following commands
    1. cd /etc/pm/sleep.d
    2. sudo gedit 20_custom-ehci_hcd
    3. if asked for password, enter it
    4. Copy the text from here and paste it into the gedit window
    5. Click the gedit Save button
    6. Close gedit
    7. sudo chmod 755 20_custom-ehci_hcd

You shouldn't be asked for your password here

Edit 2: Still no luck with the keyboard/mouse. I think the menu.lst has been replaced by grub.cfg in the recent versions of grub, but I can't find the appropriate line in there to edit.

Edit 3: I've confirmed that grub.cfg has replaced menu.lst. Also, I may have found the solution for the keyboard/mouse issue here. I'm dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows 7 and I used Grub Customizer to set up my booting options. I think these were the commands I used to install it:

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
    2. sudo apt-get update
    3. sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Once it is installed, run it. It'll take a few seconds to load. Once loaded, click the "Preferences" button. You should see a text box labeled, "Kernel options." Add "i8042.reset i8042.nomux" to it then save it.

Lastly, Fn F9 toggles the keyboard and mouse on and off. Clicking that sometimes fixes it, but I THINK it only fixes it if it booted "properly" but was already disabled. Take this with a grain of salt please.
    Dude.. I believe the keyboard fix seems like it worked! Applied using the onscreen keyboard and rebooted.. so far just one time but its working, crossing my fingers that it sticks, lol. Thank you a ton for that!

Will try out the sleep fix later on... been wicked busy the last 2 weeks and haven't had any time to work on these issues, great to see the community coming through though, thanks again!

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Toshiba Satellite L775D Keyboard and Sleep Issue - 12.04

I have had the keyboard issue a few times after installing 12.04 LTS AMD64 on my new Toshiba L775D/S7340B. But when trying to attempt sleep (or hibernate actually) the machine will no longer seem to boot. If I do get it up in recovery, it seems to be fine, but then will not boot into the GUI at all. After having it working so well after the first reboot into the new system, it's amazing to me that I can't seem to get it to work at all since. Anyone have any advice? or should I just start over? only 5 hours into it so far and I really really want to keep my Windows free streak going...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but it is relevant;

I purchased a new Toshiba Satellite L875D, and i have Ubuntu 12.04.1 installed.

I have never messed with kernal options before, i never had any need- obviously im experiencing the same keyboard issues as everyone has described, and sleep, which by the way- Thanks Noggin, that fixes the SLEEP issue i had

I want to give the keyboard fix a try, however the current version of Grub Customizer is different. (by which i mean there is no "preferences")

Here is what i have- I just want to make sure it looks right before applying and then well- problem is made worse..

"quiet splash" was already there when i brought it up to add "i8042.reset i8042.nomux".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jakin; October 8th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmn View Post
    While looking into your problem, I found documentation on the Arch Wiki. Both of your problems are listed, so please refer to it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...te_L775D_S7340
    Where is menu.lst located in Ubuntu 12.04.1? The document you list above says that it is in /boot/grub, but it is not there on my system. I have duel boot 12.04.1/Win 7.

Beans

Hey all,

I was having the same problem as well earlier, and just used the fix from the arch wiki on the /etc/default/grub file and put the arguments at the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="..." line.

It hasn't happened to me since, so I hope this helps y'all out.

Beans

Toshiba A665-145 keyboard backlit ok with Kubuntu 13.10 + ACPI turned off

It's 2014 now, and I installed Kubuntu 13.10 on my Toshiba Satelite A665-145 laptop (It's the same A665 but with an I7 processor). Guess what? No keyboard backlit issue all over again. I sometimes teach students using a big screen TV or a projector and I need the keyboard backlight because my class room is usually too dark for my comfort (students have a better screen view in a dim lit class room).

I've decided to turn ACPI off and review the consequences. It's easy to turn off ACPI. You can do it temporarly at the grub boot menu (you can force it to show by using the shift key after the boot splash) or you can update grub for a permanent configuration. See how to do it here

The good news is the keyboard lights up and so is everything else. You can dim the screen, use the other nifty functions and it's all right now.
    The bad news is that if you hook up a monitor using an HDMI cable, you cannot view your laptop's LED screen at the same time.
    You can choose which is the default screen in the advanced system properties in the BIOS (v1.8) menu but you can't have both.
    All other stuff seems to work.

Tom
    Last edited by tnsilver; January 9th, 2014 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

I've been having the same problems even with ubuntu 14.04 install, the hibernate problem can be fixed thru the power setting simply set it to "do nothing" when lid is closed, so when the lid is closed the screen will shut off automatic and when opened will come right back on. now the keyboard issue was solved/working fine with 14.04 but recent update keyboard did not work..... But I found that during reboot hitting the space bar a couple times will keep it working. hope this helps

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

But that isnt a hibernate - hibernate is when it swaps everything out to the swap file and powers off. Upon power on it restores from swap and continues. The method you describe does nothing more than turn off the screen - the system is still running and will use up the battery - that is unless something has greatly changed.

The OP wa asking about standby, which is what you are talking about - the power is still on, nothing swapped (any more than normal).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12