Thread: Mail server (postfix) stopped working

Beans

Mail server (postfix) stopped working

Hello all

I am running Ubuntu 10.04, postfix I don't know the version, but I installed it when I brought up the original system.

A few days ago, the mail server I run on my home machine just stopped receiving mail. I can still send mail from it. The attempts to get in just get the generic
    Code:
    The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect
    and they time out. I run iptables, but I made no changes to it and it still seems properly configured, smtp is still open. The only two things that happened about the time everything stopped were:

1. My computer was down for a few days, and by the time I brought it back up, my ISP had assigned me a new IP address, so I had to go to my registrar to tell the nameservers. The MX record they have looks fine - it is an A record, as it should be, and does not seem to have changed, as it references the name and not the number.

2. There was some sort of kerfluffle with ipv6. I don't know what it was, I have been avoiding dealing with ipv6 as a matter of principle, but I changed the line in the postfix configuration file from inet_protocols all to inet_protocols ipv4, ipv6 and it had no affect.

There is nothing that looks interesting in any of the mail log files - mail.err, mail.info, mail.log, and mail.warn. It feels like some sort of secure connection problem, but why would it just happen with no changes?

Thanks for any insight

Beans

Re: Mail server (postfix) stopped working

OK, after more testing, it seems like the problem is in iptables - I didn't change anything in iptables, or anything else for that matter, what could it be? here is the output from iptables:

Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
    target     prot opt source               destination         
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:smtp state NEW 
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www state NEW 
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh state NEW 
    ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ssh state NEW 
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:imaps state NEW 
    ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:imaps state NEW 
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 3/min burst 3 
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
    ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.1.0/24       anywhere            ctstate NEW 
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED 

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grizdog View Post
    Hello all

I am running Ubuntu 10.04, postfix I don't know the version, but I installed it when I brought up the original system.

A few days ago, the mail server I run on my home machine just stopped receiving mail.
    1. My computer was down for a few days, and by the time I brought it back up, my ISP had assigned me a new IP address, so I had to go to my registrar to tell the nameservers. The MX record they have looks fine - it is an A record, as it should be, and does not seem to have changed, as it references the name and not the number.
    From another site:

Code:
    telnet mailserver.dns.address 25
    telnet new.ip.address 25
    You should check that the DNS is actually correct.
    Last edited by dcstar; June 13th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Yes, you were right. In fact, what happened was that my ISP changed my ip address twice in quick succession. It usually takes months, this time it only took a day - odd. But now it works.

Thanks.