Thread: Need to configure FTP server with only one ip for multiple domains

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Need to configure FTP server with only one ip for multiple domains

Hi, I am using pure-ftpd-mysql on one server and proftpd-mysql on another and I need to be able to configure at least one of them to login per-domain. Ex. johndoe@example.com and johndoe@example2.com with ip 1.2.3.4...

Right now, I can only have 1 johndoe in the db. For now, I have to setup my users as johndoe.example.com and johndoe.example2.com if two domains have the same username.

I have search for days to find a tutorial that will allow me to do this, but as of this point, all I have found are per ip logins using multiple dbs or tables. I would much rather all my users be store in the same domain and be able to find a way to get the requested domain and login that way. If that makes since. Pls, pls, pls help....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Re: Need to configure FTP server with only one ip for multiple domains

You could have a different port per domain. The user must then specify the port to access its domain.

Something like:
    ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl:21/pub/
    ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl:22/pub/

Otherwise I don't think it's possible: with the same IP, same port and same username, there is no way for a FTP server to distinguish a domain.

With HTTP it *is* possible, as (since HTTP 1.1?) the HTTP-client will specify the domain within the protocol, and thus you can put different webservers on the same IPort.
    Alas that does not happen within FTP (AFAIK).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, that just sucks... I guess I will have to keep like I have... I thought that I would be able to the ftp server like the email server, where I could just use a db be able to auth per domain...

I wish someone would/could fix that...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piine View Post
    Well, that just sucks... I guess I will have to keep like I have... I thought that I would be able to the ftp server like the email server, where I could just use a db be able to auth per domain...

I wish someone would/could fix that...
    Just checking: this is the login sequence you want:

ftp ftp.example2.com

user: joe
    pass: xxx

Right? My answer was based on the above.

Or do you want this:

ftp ftp.example2.com

user: joe@example2.com
    pass: xxx