Thread: DAW for Linux?

Beans

DAW for Linux?

Hi,
    currently I'm still using Logic on OSX, but to set up a new studio I wondered if it could run on Linux - so the first question, is there a good DAW?
    Depending on the kind of music you intend to make and the level you want to take it to there may not be too many alternatives. For example when going for electronic / live stuff, you wanna use Ableton Live, which doesn't come for Linux. But for classic arrangements like in Pro Tools, Logic or Cubase, there has been Ardour for quite a while now and I gave it a real short look about a year ago. It looks pretty simple, but I didn't get to set up a workflow and abandoned it since as long as my MacBookPro keeps working I'll stick to my habits and actual workflow. But now for the new studio I considered Ardour again and even found out about Harrison Mixbus, which is built on Ardour and they say "largely open source" so you can actually look inside. I haven't got my hands on it yet, but it seems like what you want as a professional DAW on Linux. Like Ardour it supports AU and VST plugins, so you could use your favorites there, but Mixbus already comes with built-in channelstrip dynamics, which seem to make sense because of their shere quality (i.e. band-saturation). Mixing, editing along with routing for stuff like sidechain look simple in the tutorials on youtube. Today it's priced at 150,-€. If someone can provide a user experience I'd be glad to see!
    Another hint I picked up is that maybe Reaper will some day work on Linux. But that's yet to see if this turns into reality or another myth.

Second question would be which interfaces and controlers work fine with it then, but that'd be the next step really.
    Hmm, and I'd still need my OSX for some software-synths though.
    Kind regards, Wanja
    Last edited by wahrschein; December 19th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: DAW for Linux?

This thread will be closed, soon, because is old...

I'm working on the pop-rock album, and I use MusE as DAW. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't use any controlers, just synths as plain USB MIDI keyboards for playing notes, etc.

If you use MIDI then Ardour2 is not for you, it's just audio, as also harrison mix bus. Ardour3 is not ready yet, but it includes MIDI.
    Give your self time to learn Linux audio, at least 6 months.

Hi. In my opinion Ardour is a great DAW. It gives all the tools you need to record, editing, mixing and mastering (with Jamin) a song, especially if you aim to capture the performance of a band. I use it almost everyday and, in my opinion, it is more comfortable than almost everything I tried, including Nuendo, Sonar, DP, Audition and Ableton Live. The coming release of Ardour will integrate a lot of new features, including MIDI recording, playback and editing. Qtractor is a good DAW that integrates this features. There are commercial DAWs too available on linux, for example Renoise. I tried the demo and looks very interesting: http://www.renoise.com/ . Could be your perfect mate if you need something to replace Ableton LIVE. There are a lot of both open source and commercial programs that are very interesting, scientifically accurate and well made. If you are interested I could repost some link. Reaper actually works under wine+wineasio. I've got it configured on a bootable USB media (but I don't use it a lot, because I like much more Ardour and the installation on that small USB key is intended to be a portable effects station, you know, you cannot record so much on a 4Gb flash drive... but actually seems to work with all its features and it isn't alone, as I managed to get working Guitarig 5 too... even if I don't use it as I prefer Guitarix...). Here a OS that comes with it configured and ready to go: http://www.remix-os.org/ . You could test how Reaper behave under linux writing a bootable media. Almost every supported midi controller can control Ardour. Very positive news can be found on Internet regarding Behringer BCF2000 B-control fader (and similar models) and Mackie MCU Pro (and a lot of other interesting stuff...). I suggest you to search in this forum for more infos: http://linuxmusicians.com/ . You can find a lot of infos about common issues and working software and hardware. I reccomand you to buy new hardware for linux only when you are sure of its compatibility. The alsa matrix is full of usefull infos http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main . Sometimes some actually working piece of harware doesn't figure into the alsamatrix, so search on forums and post questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe Studio 64 is no longer in active development. can anybody confirm that?

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=64studio . Status: Dormant (so is not Active). Is all what I know (in addition, no new releases for years...).

Beans

Wow, thanks a lot for bringing up those alternatives! And I'll also take along the advice to take quite some time when moving to Linux. I'll take a look at Qtractor and Renoise - actually especially looking out for MIDI. Thanks!

And why close the thread? If I search for "Linux DAW" on google this is on the first page and maybe some more information will be gathered.