Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force screen resolution?

Beans

Force screen resolution?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot a situation in which the person I'm helping has an ASUS LCD monitor that isn't displaying properly. The highest resolution available to her is 1024x768. Her computer is perfectly capable of outputting the 1440x900 native resolution of the monitor, but obviously drivers are at a premium here.

I know that forcing resolution is possible, but I'm not quite sure how to do it, and past entries on it are rather scattered. She has the latest Ubuntu build.

Any help?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Force screen resolution?

Can you find out what is the graphics chip or card? It might be a good idea to install a proprietary driver.

For example, what is the output of
    Code:
    glxinfo|grep -i opengl
    or can you run the gui program hardinfo and look at the info for Display.

If you don't have the programs, you can search for them and install with Synaptics.

Edit: by the way, is it a laptop, and you want to use an external monitor? In that case, maybe you need to switch off the internal screen, because it might limit the resolution. In many but not all versions of Ubuntu, it is possible to have different resolutions in the internal and external monitor/screen.
    Last edited by sudodus; June 11th, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Is the internal screen's resolution setting the limit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Can you find out what is the graphics chip or card? It might be a good idea to install a proprietary driver.

For example, what is the output of
    Code:
    glxinfo|grep -i opengl
    Comes back with "unable to open display."

or can you run the gui program hardinfo and look at the info for Display.

If you don't have the programs, you can search for them and install with Synaptics.
    Running hardinfo in the command line also gives me the same response. I'll run it in GUI form a little later on when she's not using the computer.

Edit: by the way, is it a laptop, and you want to use an external monitor? In that case, maybe you need to switch off the internal screen, because it might limit the resolution. In many but not all versions of Ubuntu, it is possible to have different resolutions in the internal and external monitor/screen.
    Nope, this is a small tower.

Beans

Just FYI, I'm running these processes remotely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
    Comes back with "unable to open display."

Running hardinfo in the command line also gives me the same response. I'll run it in GUI form a little later on when she's not using the computer.

Nope, this is a small tower.
    Strange, do you run the glxinfo command from a terminal window?
    And hardinfo started from the command line or the menu, should run as a GUI program. Are you running a remote session, or have you logged to locally on the computer?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
    Just FYI, I'm running these processes remotely.
    OK, if you are running ssh, use the option -Y to enable graphics (X forwarding).

Code:
    ssh -Y user@computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since you are running remotely and would like to see GUI, make sure that you are running a local X server (like Xming for MS Windows) and then do

Code:
    ssh -X <your friends IP Address>

Beans

I apologize, it seems that she is running 10.10, I was mistaken before and believed that she had the latest version.

Hardinfo GUI only gives me this:

Display Resolution: 1280x1024 pixels (was also mistaken on the screen size, but that's still 5:4 on a 16:10, )
    OpenGL Renderer: Software Rasterizer
    X11 Vendor: The X.Org Foundation

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu 10.10 has passed end of life. That means that she is no longer receiving security updates. I suggest that you try with the new version 12.04. Depending of the cpu, graphics card and ram, different flavours of Ubuntu might be the best, so if you can post information about it, we can give better help.

- Ubuntu with Unity desktop environment, modern and needs a lot of horsepower.

- Kubuntu with KDE desktop environment, modern and needs a lot of horsepower.

- Xubuntu with XFCE desktop environment, modern but simpler and needs less horsepower.

- Lubuntu with LXDE desktop environment, ultra-light-weight and needs the least horsepower or will be very fast on a powerful computer

I suggest that you download some iso-files and make boot CD or USB drives. Then test the flavours live (without installing to the internal drive).

Beans

Get the Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) and pastebin it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast