Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus is a disaster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nautilus is a disaster

Why is Nautilus so unreliable? There's always something with it. For years it has refused to refresh directory contents - what's that about? Then it crashes when dragging files from one window to anther, And now with 12.04 it runs so slowly you think it's crashed.

Isn't it time this thing was forked by someone who will look after it? It's only about the most important single Ubuntu desktop tool!!!

Frustrated

Beans

Re: Nautilus is a disaster

Caja, the Mate DE fork of Nautilus seems to work pretty well.

Beans
    Hidden!

may i know your system specifications ?
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    may i know your system specifications ?
    +1
    I must ask the same question.

I have been using Ubuntu since version 5.10 (and now part-time using 12.04) on the same machine and I do not recognise the nautilus behaviour you speak of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I too have been using it for quite some time and have never noticed these issues. It's always run very well and quite stable.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

A tweak gone wrong?

Beans

There are other options you know like Thunar or PCManFM. Both of those are network aware but only PCManFM can bookmark a remote share.

If your focus is on internal files there's XFE - multi-pannel but not network aware. And it's the only one I mentioned that's a WYSIWYG file manager.

BTW: WYSIWYG in this context can be demonstrated by the following:

Open up nautilus to /usr/share/applications and you see a lot of things with child like names. Now do an "ls -al /usr/share/applications" and you will see the adult names for these files. It comes in handy in Xubuntu where some of these *.desktop files need to be modified to show up on the menu.

Last edited by Morbius1; June 11th, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

Open up nautilus to /usr/share/applications and you see a lot of things with child like names. ...
    I'd never noticed that before.

Listing bogus filenames is really...bogus - and thunar and pcmanfm act the same way as nautilus.

Thanks for mentioning XFE, it lists the correct file names and also lists files' extensions rather than the pretty useless "mime type".
    Last edited by flemur13013; June 11th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Beans

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a "disaster," but I remain perpetually annoyed at it's tendency to randomly crash or disappear upon un-mounting a volume. I've noticed this behavior through numerous releases and several different hardware combos I run, so any system spec seems irrelevant.

I'll say "unstable."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Like the others I have not seen this in six releases. Are you using any Nautilus scripts or other tweaks?
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast