Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services

Threaded View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services

All,

I recently updated ubuntu using the automatic update and it broke my network services. Luckily, after a lot of research and history I found the solution and want to post it for everyone who runs into this issue.

For starters after the upgrade when turning the computer on I got the message "Waiting for network configuration" and "waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration"

After it finally booted i had no network access wireless or on the lan. When i tried opening the network tool i got the error "The system network services are not compatible with this version"

FInally the fix that I came up with:

There appears to be an issue with the latest update of network manager. If you open software center, go to history, search keyword "Network" you will probably see "network-manager (0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4, 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4.1)"

If you see this then you have the same problem as I did. The solution is to downgrade to version 3: Search in google "ubuntu network-manager package" and select the ubuntu.com link -> scroll down the page to "network-manager-dbg" select the precise (debug) ubuntu3 version.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/network-manager-dbg

Download the 4 related packages for your system (amd64 or i386):

network-manager (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
    or libnm-util2 (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (shared library)
    or libnm-glib4 (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (GLib shared library)
    or libnm-glib-vpn1 (= 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3)
    network management framework (GLib VPN shared library)

install each of them using the command "sudo dpkg -i FILENAME"

restart your computer and that should fix your problem! I hope this helps some and for those of you in the know can you please report this most recent update as broken? Thanks and good luck!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 26th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.