Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services

Hello,

I am using a system built on Ubuntu 12.04 Mini. I installed all xorg and xserver-xorg packages, all drivers, authentication packages and so forth. It's my 3rd or 4th install of the kind. I use Openbox as main environment, lightdm as session manager.

I arrived here after I searched the web for a 60 seconds delay to connection problem in my Ubuntu Precise box.

I first met with this bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/881079

and I was frustrated because the Ubuntu version where it happens is the preceding one.

However I first had wicd-gtk installed and after I read the bug report I replaced it with network-manager. The problem was still there : 60 more seconds delay at boot and no network working once the desktop was on screen.

So I sought for the same error message on the web, but for Precise, and here I am after I found the present thread !

I have reinstalled the former packages as said in the first post of this thread.

Here are the packages I have in the Downloads directory:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 melodie melodie 85390 avril 12 2012 libnm-glib4_0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 melodie melodie 14226 avril 12 2012 libnm-glib-vpn1_0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 melodie melodie 135104 avril 12 2012 libnm-util2_0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 melodie melodie 527750 avril 12 2012 network-manager_0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 melodie melodie 1331728 avril 12 2012 network-manager-dbg_0.9.4.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Just a hint : to download them with wget, it is not necessary to add one "wget" line for each package : they can be all added one after the other, with just a space separating each URL.

Another hint : provided you have only these deb files in the Download directory, or in another directory of your choice, you don't need to worry about the order in which you will install them if you invoke this command line:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    dpkg will manage to install them all in the right order, always.

One last hint, for who wants to block the versions of these packages:
    open Synaptic, find the package names with the search field, select them (Ctrl+click or Shift+click can allow selecting several at a time) and then go to menu "Packages" then hit "Block the version". You're done, now you should see a small icon looking like a lock in front of the names of the said packages.

After I installed the former version I rebooted and good surprise ! This time network manager was started !

But I still have a 60 seconds delay for network during boot, which I don't know why.

I connect with wired cable, on an Adsl connection, with the interface Eth1.

My Ethernet card is:
    $ lspci | grep Ethernet
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    I won't quote my wireless card, as I didn't try it yet. (One problem at a time... right ?)

"sudo lshw" provides the information about the driver for this card:
    e1000e

However, lspci seems to indicate that it is NOT used (?)
    Code:
    $ lsmod | grep e1000e
    e1000e                139997  0
    and to end with, here are a pair of additional informations:
    Code:
    $ ls -l /var/run/network
    total 4
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6 nov.  18 15:45 ifstate
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 nov.  18 15:45 ifup.eth1
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 nov.  18 15:45 ifup.lo
    and /var/log/boot.log:
    http://pastebin.com/nxzFQkJe

I have looked into syslog messages too. I just installed libnss-mdns, which was missing and can help for some stuff. Since yesterday I have also added the following packages:
    ifupdown-extra (0.22) (and re-installed ifupdown), gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0, (see the descriptions for each to see why I thought it could eventually help), and also installed libmtp-runtime (1.1.3-1ubuntu0.1) which was missing in my system and triggered and error message from dbus at the start of the boot (unrelated to the network problem, but any error message delaying the boot and solved is better).

I don't know if the driver e100e is used or not, and if not, what is used instead ? In the boot sequence I saw a line mentioning a virtual network : I don't know what it is about and if it is related in any way.

I will leave this post as is now, and will follow it, and seek for a related bug report on the Launchpad, if I can find one saying it happens in Pangolin Precise.

Thanks if anyone has any additional clue, links to other relevant bug reports...
    Last edited by Melodie; November 18th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services (FIXED)

@ drewski: I have marked this thread as 'Solved'. You can do this in future by clicking 'Thread Tools' and 'Mark this thread as solved.'

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Recent Update Breaks Network Services (FIXED)

Quote Originally Posted by brouhaha View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. I had the same problem, however a simpler solution worked for me.

First I checked whether network manager is working at all. Just type:
    Code:
    nmcli -f all -p nm status
    Turns out, my NetworkManager was not running. This can be fixed easily by simply typing:
    Code:
    sudo NetworkManager
    Voila! Hellooo internet!!
    Excellent. Worked for me upgrading from 10.04.4 .

I also had 4 or 5 packages fail to install due to a password: prompt. I guess this is another topic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    I... fail to see how one can google and download packages when the network is down. So, the real answer is to make a backup, install 12.04 from scratch and hope that an upgrade doesn't break the system - again? I don't know, but that doesn't feel fixed for me.
    @jdeca57 I agree my system was not running after the update, and I recommend if your system is offline? Before you re-install, try manually starting network manager. On my system, after the inital error of "waiting for network configuration" I waited, and it came up and I logged in. Open a terminal window from the task bar. Next in the terminal window type "sudo start network-manager"

the terminal replied: "network-manager start/running, process 3907"

For me, this got my internet up and enabled me to begin sorting out the downgrade as described above.

I had trouble installing the packages with synaptic because the later version was installed, and my attempt so far to remove them has failed due to lack of command-line knowledge (so painful the learning curve). Hope this helps

PS (Sorry, had to edit because I tried pasting a screen cap of the terminal window, and that didn't work)
    Last edited by TRaction; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: to detail text of command I used because I was unable to post a screen capture.

Beans

Hello again,

As I said in my previous post, my NetworkManager wasn't running. So I could start it up everytime I logged in, but I still got the same messages while booting:

"Waiting for 60 more seconds... "
    and
    "Booting without full network configuration."

The following hack(?) worked for me:

1. Edit /etc/network/interfaces file as a root.
    2. Make sure it contains only the following two lines:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Now everything works well upon startup.

I obtained this information from this blog post.

Cheers!

Great!This helps me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I had a few error messages while upgrading to 12.04, but they seem to be because I had run out of space in /boot so there was no space to install the new kernel. When the computer rebooted after the end of the upgrade, I also was left with no network; I got the message "a network cable is unplugged".

I checked /etc/network/interfaces as described below.

The following hack(?) worked for me:

1. Edit /etc/network/interfaces file as a root.
    2. Make sure it contains only the following two lines:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    But the file was exactly as brouhaha described… so I deleted a few old, old files in /boot (freeing up a couple of hundred MB), rebooted and as if by magic networking was fixed. :/
    Ubuntu 19.04 and Debian 9.11

Beans

It worked. Many thanks !!!!!

for all stuck with this issue, just do what this post say... you are go.

Again, thanks man for your effort.. have a good day.

Beans

Hey Drewski22785,

I don't know if you still check this forum, but I have almost the same issue as what you've written above. I'm having difficulty downloading and installing the 4 network manager links. Firstly, I'm operating with an HP Chromebook 14 that has Ubuntu 12.04 installed. I was able to connect online just fine, without any issues. I logged out for awhile and switched to my Chrome OS for awhile. When I switched back to Ubuntu, I could no longer connect to the server (using the same laptop). When I tried opening the network tool, I got the message, "The system network services are not compatible with this version."

Still being new to using Ubuntu, I'm not sure how to follow the steps to downloading and installing each of those links you noted. Can you advise any help on this matter? Thanks.

Beans

#sorry i commented on a wrong post
    Last edited by lightman2; January 11th, 2015 at 04:25 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123