Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    7

    No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    Hi,

    I would appreciate some help please. I am using Ubuntu 12:04, but I am having a problem with the Terminal. I can open it up ok, but there's no cursor (terminal prompt). As you can guess, this is a real nuisance because it makes it impossible for me to type entries.

    Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Decani.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,084
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    Quote Originally Posted by Decani View Post
    Hi,

    I would appreciate some help please. I am using Ubuntu 12:04, but I am having a problem with the Terminal. I can open it up ok, but there's no cursor (terminal prompt). As you can guess, this is a real nuisance because it makes it impossible for me to type entries.

    Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Decani.
    It's hard to say but it certainly is because of some "tweak" you have applied. If you let people know what mods you have made, someone may be able to help. Don't omit mods because you may think they aren't related to your problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    I have had the same problem and i had made no "tweaks" before it stopped working.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    Bump, this really becoming a problem. I use terminal alot.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    12o4/14o4
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    What has happen to me in the past was a blank terminal screen. For some reason black on black was default and just needed to be changed.

    You could also create a new profile ( under edit>profiles) and see if that gets you anywhere.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    What has happen to me in the past was a blank terminal screen. For some reason black on black was default and just needed to be changed.

    You could also create a new profile ( under edit>profiles) and see if that gets you anywhere.
    this worked for me. After opening terminal, I went into the settings and un checked "use default theme" on the colors tab in Profile Settings on the Edit menu.

    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona U.S.A.
    Beans
    1,610

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    Quote Originally Posted by tjacks View Post
    Bump, this really becoming a problem. I use terminal alot.
    There is a command to turn the cursor on or off, but it only works during the current session (until you quit the terminal). Still, you can try it to see if the cursor can be turned on:

    Start the terminal and enter the command

    Code:
    setterm -cursor on
    If by some chance this should work, the command could be placed in ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_aliases to automatcally insure it comes on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,084
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: No cursor in Terminal Ubuntu 12:04

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    ...
    If by some chance this should work, the command could be placed in ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_aliases to automatcally insure it comes on.
    How would putting the command in ~/.bash_aliases help?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •