Thread: Hiding a running application?

Hybrid View

Beans

Hiding a running application?

How do I hide a running application so that it does not appear in the launcher or appear when I alt-tab through the applications I have open?

I have a simple one line script set to run at startup that simply launches a java application. The program is meant to just run in the background, so it is really annoying to have it show up when I alt-tab to switch applications. There is an option to hide it by right clicking on the notification icon, but I was wondering if there were a way to automatically hide it through that startup script.

Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Beans

Re: Hiding a running application?

Thanks for the response. That seems to be more complicated that what I was trying to accomplish though... I guess all I really need is a way to hide an already running application. Any thoughts?

Beans

You are wellcome @ezzy25. You can try to add "&" at the and of the command:
    Code:
    foo &

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If you are using Unity 3D (Compiz), install ccsm:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    The launch ccsm, go to section Windows Management, enable Windows Rules. Then choose it, and add this line into "Skip Taskbar" and "Skip Pager":
    Code:
    title=nameofwindow
    Replace nameofwindow with the title of the window you want.

Beans

Thanks guys! I was able to use Compiz to hide the application from the launcher and app switcher. I could not figure out how to start the application minimized, but I was able to use a simple devilspie script to hide the window once it is opened. Also, the & symbol was indeed required after the line to launch the application so that the next lines in the script to run the devilspie code could be executed.