Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best distro for beginners

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Best distro for beginners

I'm helping some people switch from Windows to Linux, and I want to know what the best distro is. I'm a Kubuntu user, but KDE seems too complicated for someone who doesn't need all those configuration options. I'm currently considering Ubuntu, since it is polished and Unity would be easy to user, and Mint with Cinnamon, since it is also easy to use and will be easier to switch to from Windows. I'm also open to suggestions for other distros/DE's. What would you suggest for an average computer user?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Best distro for beginners

Go for the default Ubuntu+Unity. Cinnamon is too buggy. If one wants a classic environment in Ubuntu, she just needs to sudo apt-get install gnome-panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    I'm helping some people switch from Windows to Linux, and I want to know what the best distro is. I'm a Kubuntu user, but KDE seems too complicated for someone who doesn't need all those configuration options. I'm currently considering Ubuntu, since it is polished and Unity would be easy to user, and Mint with Cinnamon, since it is also easy to use and will be easier to switch to from Windows. I'm also open to suggestions for other distros/DE's. What would you suggest for an average computer user?
    I vote for ubuntu.......You can definitely go with that........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu and what else .

www.distrowatch.com
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest Ubuntu too...
    -.- -.. .- -. . ....-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Seriously, nine times out of ten I think the answer is going to be Ubuntu, followed by Mint. They both really do just do it right in terms of accomodating the new Linux user.

Beyond that, Mac OS X is a great BSD distro... Very new user friendly...
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Debian Sid - Openbox
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Slackware 14 - Openbox

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Kubuntu

I'd say Kubuntu. Kubuntu is no harder than Ubuntu and since you are using KDE yourself, you can most easily give support. Not that much support is likely to be needed, it is so easy, but the idea that support is available will be very helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I would actually give Kubuntu a try. I know Linux Format did a survey recently covering new users and found KDE the easiest Linux DE for new users to adapt to.
    Definitely appreciate your concern about the configurations, but the beauty of Kubuntu is very little needs to be done beyond the default settings.
    Would love to hear how you get on whatever you choose to run with.
    Ubuntu 13.04 64 | AMD Athlon II 240 CPU | ATI Radeon 5450 Graphics (Non-Free Drivers)

Beans

Ubuntu is a great choice; I find the Unity interface is incredibly easy to use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    Iam using mint 13 cinnamon and its not buggy thats rubbish. Its one of the best distros out there everything is ready to go after the install. Give it a try dont listen to the nay sayers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast