Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Currently, my pre-alpha build of a GNOME edition includes GNOME Classic, although GNOME Shell is rightly the default.

I have two main things I need to take care of first before I'll make an alpha available for testing. Maybe I can get that done by Feature Freeze in a week and a half.
    One question: this Gnobuntu, or whatelse, is a sort of GNOME "vanilla" (ubuntu patches free, like to Debian, Fedora, Arch, etc) or is a "simply" Ubuntu with GNOME Shell by default?
    Last edited by Corbelius; August 25th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Linux User #342201 ~ Ubuntu User #268

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Corbelius View Post
    One question: this Gnobuntu, or whatelse, is a sort of GNOME "vanilla" (ubuntu patches free, like to Debian, Fedora, Arch, etc) or is a "simply" Ubuntu with GNOME Shell by default?
    Did you read the thread?

Personally, I wouldn’t see the point of a separate spin if it boils down to a meta-package with some dependencies that differ from the default seed. If GNOMEbuntu then go all the way.

One advantage would be that I would again be able to pester the Gnome developers upstream in a timely manner. Right now the delta is too large (see, e.g., nautilus, gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-shell)
    Last edited by hugmenot; August 25th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hugmenot View Post
    Well I asked to see how thorough the push to close the gap to upstream will be. If you will, how much chocolate flakes will remain in your stracciatella flavor.

These gesture patches were crash prone earlier. I remeber that I had to push an eog without those patches to my PPA, because I had had to live without eog for months on my work PC because it would segfault on startup every time.
    "I remeber that I had to push an eog without those patches to my PPA"

Are you one of the Ubuntu developers too ? Just curious

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    • Although splitting gnome-control-center and ubuntu-control-center was a goal for this release, no one has stepped up to do it yet.
    Have a look at the Gnome Control Center here:
    A preview of Gnome 3.6 in Quantal
    Seems that Rico Tzschichholz has done several improvements

There's also a link to the Ubuntu GNOME Edition homepage.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Have a look at the Gnome Control Center here:
    A preview of Gnome 3.6 in Quantal
    Seems that Rico Tzschichholz has done several improvements

There's also a link to the Ubuntu GNOME Edition homepage.
    So Gnomebuntu it is then. Shame.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From Stinger:
    Does anyone know if there is any development going on for a pure Gnome edition of 12.10?
    Well,I am running Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Pure 100% Gnome Edition with no traces of Unity and it's not from any developer.You can do this yourself in say less than 20 minutes.It actually runs smoother than Unity graphics ways,could i say more stable,so smooth it looks like a finished product but Gnome still brings new things everyday.
    Note:This is not just Gnomeshell over Unity.It is Gnome 3.5.90 Latest stable,the Beta is at 3.6.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

By adding the ricotz/testing and ricotz/staging ppa to quantal and installing gdm be enough to test this out? Should I also remove unity and is their any other ppa's I should add? How's the general stability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    Well,I am running Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Pure 100% Gnome Edition with no traces of Unity and it's not from any developer.You can do this yourself in say less than 20 minutes.It actually runs smoother than Unity graphics ways,could i say more stable,so smooth it looks like a finished product but Gnome still brings new things everyday.
    Note:This is not just Gnomeshell over Unity.It is Gnome 3.5.90 Latest stable,the Beta is at 3.6.0
    Yes, I like your amibiant theme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by defconoii View Post
    By adding the ricotz/testing and ricotz/staging ppa to quantal and installing gdm be enough to test this out? Should I also remove unity and is their any other ppa's I should add? How's the general stability
    not enough,you must install gnome from it's ophan state to be real gnome 100% and all traces of unity must be removed,something like this:

1-sudo apt-get install gdm gnome-shell synaptic deborphan (offcourse select gdm)
    2-sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d unity-2d-common unity-2d-panel unity-2d-shell unity-2d-spread unity-asset-pool unity-common unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files unity-lens-music unity-lens-video unity-scope-musicstores unity-scope-video-remote unity-services indicator-messages indicator-status-provider-mc5 appmenu-qt appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 lightdm unity-greeter overlay-scrollbar zeitgeist zeitgeist-core zeitgeist-datahub activity-log-manager-common activity-log-manager-control-center
    3-sudo apt-get autoremove
    4-sudo reboot (choose Gnome at login)
    5-sudo apt-get purge `deborphan`
    6-sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | egrep "^rc" | cut -d' ' -f3`
    7-sudo apt-get autoremove
    8-sudo apt-get autoclean
    9-sudo reboot
    We will then have a clean Ubuntu 12.10 and distilled, with only Gnome.

I hope the Mods fellows here don't start getting upset.Thank You.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    Well,I am running Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Pure 100% Gnome Edition with no traces of Unity and it's not from any developer.You can do this yourself in say less than 20 minutes.
    Yeah I know, have done that earlier, there are several ways to do that.
    But an official supported version is the purpose of this thread and what I aim for.8)
    To quote myself from earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    the biggest pain is that every time you have to make a partial upgrade you get all the unity packages and dependencies back again.
    Last edited by Stinger; August 29th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast