Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: GNObuntu ?

when I go to the gnome extensions all are grayed out is this a bug I am running classic no effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    when I go to the gnome extensions all are grayed out is this a bug I am running classic no effects
    Gnome Classic doesn't use the Gnome Shell Extensions - they are for Gnome Shell.

Even if you were running Gnome Shell in 12.10, you would find most of the extensions grayed out, because they haven't been updated to work with the newer version of GS in 12.10.

Remember, 12.10 is in heavy development...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sml View Post
    how can we use the gnome extensions?
    https://extensions.gnome.org/
    see here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2050183

Is possible that many of the ext. would work but the website seems to reject a 12.10 or 12.10+ gnome-session out of hand.

Here I wanted to try the 'Quicklists" ext. so installed it on 12.04, copied over, edited the ~/local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/metadata.json for version, enabled in tweak & it works fine.

Obviously doing like this represents some risk of incompatible ext. so keep fixing that possibility in mind if pursuing, otherwise wait for website to square up or look elsewhere with care

Beans
    Distro

I don't think this is the right thread to discuss the extensions.
    As mc4man already pointed out, this thread would be more appropriate.

Cannot install GNOME extensions

Extensions will work with the official Gnome releases from version 3.2

Extensions are not guarantied to work between official releases, but this may change from Gnome 3.8

Gnome 3.8 features: Automatic Extension Updates

Please post your extension trouble at the other thread.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I'm so glad to hear that we are sticking to upstream Nautilus.
    Thank's a lot for answering my question.

The naming thing is difficult, Gubuntu is ruled out I think, because of googles Goobuntu.
    GNObuntu maybe ? But some say it sound a little like "Gee no buntu" they don't like the negation.
    Gnubuntu is taken and would indicate that it follows the free Software Foundation guidelines.
    Gnomebuntu is actually not bad maybe we should stick with that one ?
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    With respect, why the need to avoid the name Gubuntu? So what if Google uses a similar sounding name? I mean, they don't own the 'buntu name, and to me nothing fits the project better than Gubuntu. It makes sense alongside Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

I just don't get why the need to avoid the most obvious name. What's Google got to do with things? Gubuntu is the most obvious choice, and to me the alternatives don't really suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by hugmenot View Post
    Also, call it Gubuntu. On the internet it doesn’t matter if it is a homophone, only spelling matters. And Goobuntu is a name internal to Google only anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by manliodp View Post
    I know that the name is not important but i think GNOBUNTU is a lot better than GNOMEBUNTU..i thought GNOBUNTU was the chosen name, I really hope you think again about it

Anyway I would really say THANK YOU for your effort, it will be a great release!
    Quote Originally Posted by checoimg View Post
    WHat do you guys think about "Gnubuntu" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Sure. ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, gnubuntu (list order your option)

As I understand from this forum, the ubuntu management mantra is "unity everywhere", pc's, ipads, ipods, smartphones, ...

Well, maybe when Nook has 2 gHz dual processors with 4G memory and a very fast SSD it might handle the then further developed (I presume more features are coming) Unity/Compiz. My opinion. I don't intend to cause any problem with the ubuntu development forum COC.

The market will decide. Meanwhile I'm trying a few different desktops, which works as long as ubuntu is compatible with debian.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I think they've decided on Gnomebuntu? Would be mods consider renaming the thread if that is correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Hey all Ubuntu guys and girls ( really like the last ones )

I've been spreading the word, hope the dev's don't mind. I think all Gnome fans need to know about GNObuntu.
    This has resulted in a few nice articles
    Look here:

GNOMEbuntu is set to arrive in October, 18!

GNOMEbuntu Will Be Available This October

GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming October 18th

Especially like the one from Muktware, very informative !

More good news, another developer has joined the team, Robert Ancell, thanks for joining the team.
    And Satyajit Sahoo is on hold, this could mean some serious artwork

And we are starting to get some code, look here:
    https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gnome-dev

A new suggestion for a name could be uGuntu ?
    Suggested by frank_O from the Gnome board

Cheers !
    Aesthetically, I'd prefer Gubuntu > Gnubuntu > GNUbuntu > Gnobuntu > GNObuntu > Ubuntu GNOME > the rest. Realistically, Gubuntu is out because of Goobuntu. (Pronunciation does in fact matter.) Gnubuntu and GNUbuntu are also out because it implies some kind of direct hierarchy with the GNU Project (and Richard Stallman). So I'd go with Gnobuntu. By the way, the homophonous Nubuntu (of Gnubuntu) is already taken by nUbuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    That is not supported. Just like trying to "upgrade" from Ubuntu to Kubuntu isn't supported.
    Isn't there a "kubuntu-desktop" package that you could install over Ubuntu? That's how I got Kubuntu on Wubi.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cshin9 View Post
    Aesthetically, I'd prefer Gubuntu > Gnubuntu > GNUbuntu > Gnobuntu > GNObuntu > Ubuntu GNOME > the rest. Realistically, Gubuntu is out because of Goobuntu. (Pronunciation does in fact matter.) Gnubuntu and GNUbuntu are also out because it implies some kind of direct hierarchy with the GNU Project (and Richard Stallman). So I'd go with Gnobuntu. By the way, the homophonous Nubuntu (of Gnubuntu) is already taken by nUbuntu.

Isn't there a "kubuntu-desktop" package that you could install over Ubuntu? That's how I got Kubuntu on Wubi.
    Next time just don't multi-quote too many posts

I think jbicha is still trying to settle down the name issue

jbicha: He's correct, there is a "kubuntu-desktop" package in kubuntu, there's "ubuntustudio-desktop" package in Ubuntu Studio (we are going to make a -all package). So er it IS possible to upgrade
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans

jbicha: He's correct, there is a "kubuntu-desktop" package in kubuntu, there's "ubuntustudio-desktop" package in Ubuntu Studio (we are going to make a -all package). So er it IS possible to upgrade
    You'll notice that jbicha used the term "supported" rather than "possible".

I've helped work on some DE conversions like those shown in the Playing Around section here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

But possible and supported mean two very different things

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    You'll notice that jbicha used the term "supported" rather than "possible".

I've helped work on some DE conversions like those shown in the Playing Around section here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

But possible and supported mean two very different things
    Challenge: Supported means it has the latest packages. And I do think Kubuntu supports it. At least in Ubuntu Studio we do support it using a wiki page (needs updating)
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans

I guess a lot of it depends on how one pronounces Ubuntu itself. I pronounce it "uh-boon-too", and each new flavor is simply the addition of the sound of the letter, like for Lubuntu;

el-uh-boon-too

or for Kubuntu

kay-uh-boon-too

etc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyhw View Post
    Challenge: Supported means it has the latest packages. And I do think Kubuntu supports it. At least in Ubuntu Studio we do support it using a wiki page (needs updating)
    Under that scenario are 10.04 and 11.04 still supported? There are certainly newer packages available

Supported can undeniably mean different things in different contexts, I was just applying my best guess to the context Jeremy intended

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast