Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 203

Thread: GNObuntu ?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    I have just removed ubuntu-artwork and Ambiance is still the default GTK theme. To check this, I have launched dconf-editor, clicked on org.gnome.desktop.interface.gtk-theme, then "set to default". While "Adwaita" is correctly displayed, Ambiance is actually set (this is a known bug where dconf-editor displays the stock default but actually applies the overridden default: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/884943).
    So override it for now by manually setting it to 'Adwaita' and save it as default using the root/live UID.

    Are you working with chroot env?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    881
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    I have just removed ubuntu-artwork and Ambiance is still the default GTK theme. To check this, I have launched dconf-editor, clicked on org.gnome.desktop.interface.gtk-theme, then "set to default". While "Adwaita" is correctly displayed, Ambiance is actually set (this is a known bug where dconf-editor displays the stock default but actually applies the overridden default: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/884943).
    I tested removing ubuntu-artwork now and it worked after logging out and logging back in.

    Try
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    So override it for now by manually setting it to 'Adwaita' and save it as default using the root/live UID.

    Are you working with chroot env?
    You're misunderstanding me: I'm not looking for a solution for me, I'm just asking for the settings to be correctly set back to the stock defaults on future GNOMEbuntu installs, but I guess Jeremy and his team are working on it anyway.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    You're misunderstanding me: I'm not looking for a solution for me, I'm just asking for the settings to be correctly set back to the stock defaults on future GNOMEbuntu installs, but I guess Jeremy and his team are working on it anyway.
    I did understand you. I proposed that until the dconf bugs get sorted out I suppose.

    Logically, does dconf revert back to 'stock' when removing the packages that reconfigure those keys?

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I tested removing ubuntu-artwork now and it worked after logging out and logging back in.

    Try
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme
    OK, I didn't know I needed to log out / log in. Now it works perfectly. Sorry

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    I did understand you. I proposed that until the dconf bugs get sorted out I suppose.

    Logically, does dconf revert back to 'stock' when removing the packages that reconfigure those keys?
    Actually, removing ubuntu-artwork (which is not a dependancy of ubuntu-gnome-desktop) does revert all the theme-related dconf keys to the stock default. So everything is fine!

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    Actually, removing ubuntu-artwork (which is not a dependancy of ubuntu-gnome-desktop) does revert all the theme-related dconf keys to the stock default. So everything is fine!
    Perfect

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Has anyone given any thought, given the 'vanilla' flavor this distro variant will be having to give it a more unified look when transitioning from grub, to plymouth, to gdm to desktop?

    what I mean is that given the guidelines, we can have the same exact background (Ubuntu logo on aubergine solid backdrop [HEX #2C001E]) for all three stages, using the logo provided in the Plymouth sub-directory, thus unifying the whole lot of transitions...

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    Has anyone given any thought, given the 'vanilla' flavor this distro variant will be having to give it a more unified look when transitioning from grub, to plymouth, to gdm to desktop?

    what I mean is that given the guidelines, we can have the same exact background (Ubuntu logo on aubergine solid backdrop [HEX #2C001E]) for all three stages, using the logo provided in the Plymouth sub-directory, thus unifying the whole lot of transitions...
    From my tests, on ubuntu-gnome-desktop, we have the same desktop background in GDM and gnome-shell. Not sure about GRUB and plymouth though...

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: GNObuntu ?

    That I am aware of, since they are by default served by a specified background file on the system (can't remember under which directory though).

    Starting from an ubuntu base, plymouth should already be set, it's then just a matter of changing gdm, shell and grub.

    you can modify gdm by enabling the "xhost +" parameter and then launching dconf editor as "gdm" user.

    would you mind trying to see? I assure you, the result is quite appealing.

    Here is a sample of the config i use on fedora which can give you an idea as to where to look and what to change...grub shouldnt be too bad to change (just the color):

    Code:
    # User #
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options "centered"
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/plymouth/themes/charge/throbber-15.png"
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color "#202020"
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background secondary-color "#202020"
    
    # GDM #
    
    xhost +
    
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options "centered"
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/plymouth/themes/charge/throbber-15.png"
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background primary-color "#202020"
    sudo -u gdm gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background secondary-color "#202020"
    Last edited by Cypher2; August 31st, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •