Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    not enough,you must install gnome from it's ophan state to be real gnome 100% and all traces of unity must be removed,something like this:

1-sudo apt-get install gdm gnome-shell synaptic deborphan (offcourse select gdm)
    2-sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d unity-2d-common unity-2d-panel unity-2d-shell unity-2d-spread unity-asset-pool unity-common unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files unity-lens-music unity-lens-video unity-scope-musicstores unity-scope-video-remote unity-services indicator-messages indicator-status-provider-mc5 appmenu-qt appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 lightdm unity-greeter overlay-scrollbar zeitgeist zeitgeist-core zeitgeist-datahub activity-log-manager-common activity-log-manager-control-center
    3-sudo apt-get autoremove
    4-sudo reboot (choose Gnome at login)
    5-sudo apt-get purge `deborphan`
    6-sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | egrep "^rc" | cut -d' ' -f3`
    7-sudo apt-get autoremove
    8-sudo apt-get autoclean
    9-sudo reboot
    We will then have a clean Ubuntu 12.10 and distilled, with only Gnome.

I hope the Mods fellows here don't start getting upset.Thank You.
    Thanks, worked out just fine, cleaned up allot of clutter and seems to be a speed boost as well! So far gnome-shell on 12.10 is much smoother than on 12.04. The only issue I got now is im using the open source radeon driver and not fglrx, no quakelive for me ;\ lol

Beans

I know that the name is not important but i think GNOBUNTU is a lot better than GNOMEBUNTU..i thought GNOBUNTU was the chosen name, I really hope you think again about it

Anyway I would really say THANK YOU for your effort, it will be a great release!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Are all the commands listed in post #61 safe if I am using gnome classic 12.04? Sorry for a dumb? question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't been following the gnome effort - just seems to me, ubuntu, kubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, gnubuntu, all rhyme.

With quantal by preference I use lxde on my tower, notebook, netbook. "unity" will function on them. I have to watch the COC on this topic.

2D precise is also on all of them for recovery on "Alpha oops".

Jerry

p.s. Even Lucid Grub2 on my dual hard drive tower because quantal gets sda and sdb and hd0 and hd1 screwed up on sata vs. ide and boot drive vs. slave drive. Development has no interest in the launchpad bug, just something else for the user to deal with. Grub2 will frantically search for UUID on one hard drive when Ubiquity has put that UUID on the other hard drive and Grub2 refuses to look there....I assume gnubuntu will have the same situation.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; August 30th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Are all the commands listed in post #61 safe if I am using gnome classic 12.04? Sorry for a dumb? question
    They DON'T come with any kind of guarantee !! You are on your own !!
    This is the tutorial I used with QQ alpha2
    http://linux-software-news-tutorials...medium=twitter

Please don't hijack this thread with your customized installations. Make your own threads !
    It has already been covered here.
    I recommend the use of Ubuntu Gnome-shell remix or ubuntu QQ with Gnome-Shell, until we get the first alpha of GNO / GNOMEbuntu.

The purpose of this thread is an official version of GNO / GNOMEbuntu !!
    Last edited by Stinger; August 30th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    They DON'T come with any kind of guarantee !! You are on your own !!
    This is the tutorial I used with QQ alpha2
    http://linux-software-news-tutorials...medium=twitter

Please don't hijack this thread with your customized installations. Make your own threads !
    It has already been covered here.
    I recommend the use of Ubuntu Gnome-shell remix or ubuntu QQ with Gnome-Shell, until we get the first alpha of GNO / GNOMEbuntu.

The purpose of this thread is an official version of GNO / GNOMEbuntu !!
    You are absolutely right!
    But then again this open source,free,free for you and me,free for all and free to be modified as you or I please so feel FREE!
    Last edited by kuvanito; August 30th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

WHat do you guys think about "Gnubuntu" ?
    i5-480M (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 cache) 8GB DDR3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by checoimg View Post
    I think that Ubuntu needs to get rid of unity and go with straight gnome like other distro's, if their dev's worked with the gnome project im sure it would also be greatly improved. So GNObuntu in my opinion is a great start.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by checoimg View Post
    Sure. ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, gnubuntu (list order your option)

As I understand from this forum, the ubuntu management mantra is "unity everywhere", pc's, ipads, ipods, smartphones, ...

Well, maybe when Nook has 2 gHz dual processors with 4G memory and a very fast SSD it might handle the then further developed (I presume more features are coming) Unity/Compiz. My opinion. I don't intend to cause any problem with the ubuntu development forum COC.

The market will decide. Meanwhile I'm trying a few different desktops, which works as long as ubuntu is compatible with debian.

Beans

Hi everyone,

what's the plan concerning gnome-online-accounts and ubuntu-signon in gnomebuntu? Here is the situation today:
    - Evolution is supposed to work with gnome-online-accounts but is currently broken (accounts can't be added, neither manually nor via goa)
    - Empathy used to work with goa, but now it's been patched to work with ubuntu-signon instead.
    - Gnome-documents seems to work with goa only.
    - Gnome-contacts doesn't work anymore, neither with goa nor with ubuntu-signon.
    - Shotwell and Gwibber work well with ubuntu-signon.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast