Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNObuntu ?

Yes I also think that screen flickering is cause because of compiz. Everything is fine until some part of the application which is on workspaces 1, is also on the workspace 2. If that happen (often) and whenever I press super+w I got some crazy effects. The solution is to press super+w 2 times. It's not such big problem but it's annoying. However Gnome shell doesn't have this problem that's why I think Gnome shell is better.

@jbicha I will definitely test alpha of gnome shell as it will be released.

Keep up the good work.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Currently, my pre-alpha build of a GNOME edition includes GNOME Classic, although GNOME Shell is rightly the default.

I have two main things I need to take care of first before I'll make an alpha available for testing. Maybe I can get that done by Feature Freeze in a week and a half.
    Hi Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to chime in and explain the development progress of GNObuntu / Gubuntu.
    I see you figured out howto generate a Ubuntu-style live/installer ISO from a seed, great !

I can get my hands down, we are gonna get a official GNObuntu =D> Thank you soo much. Can't wait to test your ISO

It seems like a win / win situation here Both the users of Gnome-Shell and Gnome-Classic get what they want.

I got one question though, will GNObuntu ship with Nautilus version from Ubuntu or Nautilus from Gnome3 ?
    Seems like Ubuntu is planning some kinda fork of Nautilus ?
    there is a bugreport about it to on launchpad Bug #1034080
    Last edited by Stinger; August 13th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I Have to disagree, I think you're wrong.
    What we are seeing is a transformation process of the old menu-driven desktop interface into a newer app-oriented desktop interface.
    Unity is a good example, but in my opinion a little to much inspired from the mac desktop.
    The Gnome-shell is it's own and blends perfectly with the web, or with web apps.

Have you taken the time to try the Gnome-Shell Remix or Fedora17 before writing ?
    I have used Gnome Shell installed in Ubuntu. I kind of liked it, but I don't like the changes they are planning. I'm just speaking based on what I see written all over the web, and what I see tells me that Gnome is a dying project.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    I have used Gnome Shell installed in Ubuntu. I kind of liked it, but I don't like the changes they are planning. I'm just speaking based on what I see written all over the web, and what I see tells me that Gnome is a dying project.
    You don't like the changes because they don't fit Unity ?

I hope for you and all other Ubuntu users that Gnome is not dying, because that would mean that Ubuntu and Unity is dying too, Ubuntu and Unity relies on Gnome3.

Don't be a grouch, embrace and love your Gnome, you depend on Gnome to have your desktop working.

Here is a good site to follow the Gnome development and the features of Gnome.
    http://worldofgnome.org/

Ps.
    The desktop I have become so fond of and really love for it's innovation , vision and persistence in creating, what I think is one of, if not, the best desktop interfaces today, has become 15 years old.

Happy Birthday Gnome !
    Last edited by Stinger; August 17th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have two main things I need to take care of first before I'll make an alpha available for testing. Maybe I can get that done by Feature Freeze in a week and a half.
    What are the two things?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Currently, my pre-alpha build of a GNOME edition includes GNOME Classic, although GNOME Shell is rightly the default.

Hi

Thank you for your time and manpower which you invest in this project. Looking at the forthcoming problems with the integration of Unity on top of parts of Gnome I think you will need every support which you can get to bring your project in perfect shape is a huge task and therefore I would like to know what can be done to help you somehow.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I got one question though, will GNObuntu ship with Nautilus version from Ubuntu or Nautilus from Gnome3 ?
    Seems like Ubuntu is planning some kinda fork of Nautilus ?
    there is a bugreport about it to on launchpad Bug #1034080
    The Nautilus fork for Ubuntu doesn't exist yet. You could even say it's a rumor. On the other hand, the rumor did start from the Canonical Desktop Team Tech Lead. But then again, Feature Freeze is this week so it would need a Feature Freeze Exception.

If a split were to happen, GNOMEbuntu would obviously stick to the upstream Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB. View Post
    What are the two things?
    1. Figuring out what we're going to name the thing
    2. Uploading the metapackage

Beans
    Distro

2. Uploading the metapackage
    That's fantastic! Can't wait to see the alpha! Love it when we get more Ubuntu choices, everyone should be able to find something they like.

Beans
    Distro

If a split were to happen, GNOMEbuntu would obviously stick to the upstream Nautilus.
    Would you then have to make a new package in the repos for this separate version of nautilus?

Beans
    Distro

The Nautilus fork for Ubuntu doesn't exist yet. You could even say it's a rumor. On the other hand, the rumor did start from the Canonical Desktop Team Tech Lead. But then again, Feature Freeze is this week so it would need a Feature Freeze Exception.

I'm so glad to hear that we are sticking to upstream Nautilus.
    Thank's a lot for answering my question.

The naming thing is difficult, Gubuntu is ruled out I think, because of googles Goobuntu.
    GNObuntu maybe ? But some say it sound a little like "Gee no buntu" they don't like the negation.
    Gnubuntu is taken and would indicate that it follows the free Software Foundation guidelines.
    Gnomebuntu is actually not bad maybe we should stick with that one ?
    Cheers

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast