Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNObuntu ?

Ubuntu 12.10 has now reached alpha2 and still not much news regarding a GNObuntu or Gubuntu.

I have been testing out Fedora17,although It's giving me a very pleasant Gnome3 experience, it comes with a few rough edges and the tools and the software I'm used to from Ubuntu are either not available or not working without a bit of tweaking.

I'm not alone in my Quest for the best Gnome3 distribution

So now what to do ?
    I found this article on:
    Totally remove Unity from Ubuntu 12.04
    I tried it with a vanilla 12.10 Alpha2, I't works but there are just to many trade off's to make it useful yet, the biggest pain is that every time you have to make a partial upgrade you get all the unity packages and dependencies back again.

This brought me back to the Ubuntu Gnome-shell remix
    What if I added the Gnome-Shell Testing PPA and the GNOME3 Team ppa ?
    It worked and I had a running almost clean Gnome 3.5.3(mostly).
    But again there is a trade off, I lose my Gnome Shell Extensions, and I can't live without those.

So conclusion from here is;
    The best working and most flexible (software wise) installation at present is a vanilla install of the Ubuntu Gnome-shell remix without adding any GNOME3 Team or Gnome-Shell Testing ppa's.
    My Kudos to Jan Hoffmann and everyone else (if any ) involved in the project, I love what you are doing.
    I can highly recommend it to anyone who would like to work with a Gnome-Shell only desktop.
    But be a bit careful when adding ppa's

Unlike Linus, I really love my giant smartphone, point and click just works, IMHO Gnome-shell is a very productive desktop environment.
    Last edited by Stinger; July 13th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

If anyone is wondering, here is list and screenshot of the used extensions.

Media player indicator

Places Status Indicator

Frippery Shut Down Menu

Advanced Settings in UserMenu

I have two tweak-tools installed also:

Gnome Tweak Tool
    and
    Ubuntu Tweak

I use Asunder as CD-ripper and Banshee as jukebox
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

To the moderators:
    I hope you'll all accept that until an official Gnome-Shell version, be it alpha, beta or anything else, of QQ 12.10 is available this thread will mostly be about The Ubuntu Gnome-Shell Remix.

It's as close as we get to a pure Gnome3 version of Ubuntu without any official release.

My hope is that Jeremy Bicha of the Ubumtu Gnome Edition Developers Team and Jan Hoffmann who made the Ubuntu Gnome-Shell Remix at some point could join forces and make this happen

Beans

What I'm seeing all over the web, is word that Gnome-Shell is dying in popularity. The more sensible idea is for a Gnome-Classic spin of Ubuntu. There would be no shortage of users eager to switch away from Unity, or to return to Ubuntu (people who've left for greener pastures since 11.04 landed).
    Last edited by guimaster; August 11th, 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    What I'm seeing all over the web, is word that Gnome-Shell is dying in popularity. The more sensible idea is for a Gnome-Classic spin of Ubuntu. There would be no shortage of users eager to switch away from Unity, or to return to Ubuntu (people who've left for greener pastures since 11.04 landed).
    I Have to disagree, I think you're wrong.
    What we are seeing is a transformation process of the old menu-driven desktop interface into a newer app-oriented desktop interface.
    Unity is a good example, but in my opinion a little to much inspired from the mac desktop.
    The Gnome-shell is it's own and blends perfectly with the web, or with web apps.

Have you taken the time to try the Gnome-Shell Remix or Fedora17 before writing ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I Have to disagree, I think you're wrong.
    What we are seeing is a transformation process of the old menu-driven desktop interface into a newer app-oriented desktop interface.
    Unity is a good example, but in my opinion a little to much inspired from the mac desktop.
    The Gnome-shell is it's own and blends perfectly with the web, or with web apps.

Have you taken the time to try the Gnome-Shell Remix or Fedora17 before writing ?
    I agree with you that Gnome Shell is not failing or "dying in popularity". I spent a lot of time myself with Gnome Shell on openSUSE and it really is pretty amazing. I found it very intuitive and easy to use, and not limiting at all. There's just at the moment a hardcore of vocal detractors who don't like the changes being made to the desktop, but there are plenty of options available for those people if they would calm down.

I disagree that Unity is more Mac like than Gnome Shell though. I think they've both taken elements of various Mac desktops of the past and present and incorporated them into their own DE's. Shell is as guilty as Unity in this regard imho.

I'm still looking forward to Gubuntu, and I hope it happens. I think they should use that name regardless of Google's internal use of it. After all, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, and not Google. Does anyone know if this is still going ahead then? It's been very quiet since the announcement a while ago, and there's been no updates.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro

At the time I had Fedora 17 I was very happy with it. I have to admit I like Unity especially alt command function, but Gnome shell is much more stable IMO. In Gnome shell I never had problems with screen flickering. In Unity this is very common problem. I also prefer to have more workspaces than 4.

Gnome shell is still alive, since many people prefer Gnome, because it's less buggy than Unity.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I agree with you that Gnome Shell is not failing or "dying in popularity". I spent a lot of time myself with Gnome Shell on openSUSE and it really is pretty amazing. I found it very intuitive and easy to use, and not limiting at all. There's just at the moment a hardcore of vocal detractors who don't like the changes being made to the desktop, but there are plenty of options available for those people if they would calm down.

I disagree that Unity is more Mac like than Gnome Shell though. I think they've both taken elements of various Mac desktops of the past and present and incorporated them into their own DE's. Shell is as guilty as Unity in this regard imho.

I'm still looking forward to Gubuntu, and I hope it happens. I think they should use that name regardless of Google's internal use of it. After all, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, and not Google. Does anyone know if this is still going ahead then? It's been very quiet since the announcement a while ago, and there's been no updates.
    Hear hear ! Gnome-Shell is alive and kicking b..
    Let's not discuss Who's using bits and pieces from who, we know they all do it, strike my comment about unity and mac.

If you haven't tried the Gnome-Shell remix or Fedora17 for that matter (Kororaa if you want it to work right away ) , you should, I think they both give a better experience than Open Suse, Fedora is fast and Gnome is fully implemented, The Remix gives you all the benefits of Ubuntu and Gnome is implemented to a level that is way better than installing Gnome-shell from a Ubuntu desktop.
    You are so right with your comment about the vocal detractors, we don't all have to live in the middle ages but those that prefer, fine by me, go for mate, cinnamon, xfce, you name it ther are lot of alternatives.
    About the development. Like You I can't see any progress at all, it doesn't have to mean that nothing is going on, maybe all the developers are on summer Holiday ? naah...

There is another alternative under it's way:
    The Gnome-OS read more here and here or just google it.
    Last edited by Stinger; August 12th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    At the time I had Fedora 17 I was very happy with it. I have to admit I like Unity especially alt command function, but Gnome shell is much more stable IMO. In Gnome shell I never had problems with screen flickering. In Unity this is very common problem. I also prefer to have more workspaces than 4.
    I think your screen flickering is caused by compiz, compiz has a lot of features but IMHO also a lot of flaws.
    Unity relies on compiz.
    Gnome-Shell don't need compiz, it uses Mutter as compositing window manager.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    Currently, my pre-alpha build of a GNOME edition includes GNOME Classic, although GNOME Shell is rightly the default.

I have two main things I need to take care of first before I'll make an alpha available for testing. Maybe I can get that done by Feature Freeze in a week and a half.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast