Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Under that scenario are 10.04 and 11.04 still supported? There are certainly newer packages available

Supported can undeniably mean different things in different contexts, I was just applying my best guess to the context Jeremy intended
    Well 11.04 stopped technical support, and 10.04 support will end soon. It is a complele stop of support, not just the upgrade.

Anyway news: The autologin bug has been fixed and now the daily build I just compiled is working greatly
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cshin9 View Post
    Aesthetically, I'd prefer Gubuntu > Gnubuntu > GNUbuntu > Gnobuntu > GNObuntu > Ubuntu GNOME > the rest. Realistically, Gubuntu is out because of Goobuntu. (Pronunciation does in fact matter.) Gnubuntu and GNUbuntu are also out because it implies some kind of direct hierarchy with the GNU Project (and Richard Stallman). So I'd go with Gnobuntu. By the way, the homophonous Nubuntu (of Gnubuntu) is already taken by nUbuntu.
    Except that the GNOME Foundation Board doesn't want us to combine their trademark (GNOME) with another word to make a compound word name.

Quote Originally Posted by cshin9 View Post
    Isn't there a "kubuntu-desktop" package that you could install over Ubuntu? That's how I got Kubuntu on Wubi.
    Sure, if you have Ubuntu 12.10, you can install ubuntu-gnome-desktop and get GNOME Shell in addition to your Unity. I thought the question was asked whether you could take a 12.04 install and use the Ubuntu GNOME image to "upgrade" that to Ubuntu GNOME 12.10. That will not be supported.

Beans
    Hidden!

... and UbuntuG just sounds ugly. (Or maybe even a little cute.)
    Last edited by mcellius; September 13th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Except that the GNOME Foundation Board doesn't want us to combine their trademark (GNOME) with another word to make a compound word name. Sure, if you have Ubuntu 12.10, you can install ubuntu-gbuntu GNOME image to "upgrade" that to Ubuntu GNOME 12.10.
    To follow through with trademarks, doesn't that make it:
    GNU-Ubuntu-Gnome 12.10
    following through from Stallman and GNOME? At least Linus doesn't seem to be picky that I've seen.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm.....GNOMbuntu is better for me. Not GNOME, but GNOM. Makes more sense
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyhw View Post
    Hmm.....GNOMbuntu is better for me. Not GNOME, but GNOM. Makes more sense
    Whatever! Just so long as we agree on something, so we'll all know what we're talking about. Something quick to write, too.

Gnom- or Gno- buntu seem sensible to me...

Beans
    Hidden!

Jeremy, do you have any idea why GDM refuses to let me log in now?
    It used to work with gdm but now I always get "Authentication failure". Lightdm still works for login, but then I run into problems with the screen lock.

The only relevant log output I found is this:

Code:
    cat :0-slave.log 
    gdm-launch-environment][2381]: AccountsService-WARNING: SetLanguage call failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.Accounts.Error.Failed: not access to HOME yet so language not saved
    gdm-launch-environment][2381]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
    gdm-launch-environment][2381]: pam_ck_connector(gdm-launch-environment:session): nox11 mode, ignoring PAM_TTY :0
    gdm-password][2487]: pam_succeed_if(gdm-password:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "hugme"
    gdm-password][2487]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=  user=hugme
    gdm-password][2501]: pam_succeed_if(gdm-password:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "hugme"
    Do I have to install any other packages? Is this PAM related?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If Ubuntu would let users select a/many desktop at install alike FreeBSD, openSuse etc. we wouldn't need such silly splits.
    They could even go beyond and let users select configurations for gamers etc. as probably gnome3 without compiz would be fastest?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Except that the GNOME Foundation Board doesn't want us to combine their trademark (GNOME) with another word to make a compound word name.

Sure, if you have Ubuntu 12.10, you can install ubuntu-gnome-desktop and get GNOME Shell in addition to your Unity. I thought the question was asked whether you could take a 12.04 install and use the Ubuntu GNOME image to "upgrade" that to Ubuntu GNOME 12.10. That will not be supported.
    IMHO Gubuntu makes the most sense.

KDE + Ubuntu = Kubuntu
    LXDE + Ubuntu = Lubuntu
    Xfce + Ubuntu = Xubuntu

If we truly want to become an official Ubuntu flavor I suggest following that pattern

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

which was rejected because of resemblance to:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast