Thread: LightDM will not let me log in.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

LightDM will not let me log in.

Hello,
    I am having a problem with LightDm and Unity. When I boot up my netbook, I get the lighdm login screen. Then, when I enter my password and click enter, the Lightdm screen goes away, and comes back with the lightdm screen again. When I go and log into the guest account, it works fine. Then, I go to the terminal by clicking CTRL+ALT+F1 and kill lightdm, then type "unity" after I have logged in it gives me this error:
    Code:
    joshn@jntbkprecise:~$ unity
    WARNING: no DISPLAY variable set, setting it to :0
    pkill:2311 - Operation not permitted
    unity-panel-service: no process found
    No protocol specified
    No protocol specified
    compiz (core) - Fatal: Could not open display :0
    joshn@jntbkprecise:~$
    I'm Stuck. I have no idea if I did anything to break this. I do not know if compiz is the problem, or if it is Unity or Lightdm. If somebody could help it would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer not to have to re-install. I am using a EEE PC 1005HAB with 2gb of ram, Ubuntu 12.04 and a Intel Atom n270 cpu. Thank you for your time.

Joshua

Beans

Re: LightDM will not let me log in.

I think the problems is Compiz? Are you running an NVIDIA as your graphics? That could be the issue as well. I'm actually, trying to get to the screen where you login under terminal so I can install the NVIDIA drivers. Their site says I need to install the drivers while x-server is not running and I shut it down but, can't seem to get terminal to pull up.

Beans
    Distro

No, I have Intel graphics GMA 950, so it could be that I need their drivers, but I would not know where to get them, if that is the problem. Another problem is that I might need X to install it. I could probably use the guest account to install it, but the driver probably very unlikely because the guest account works. Thank you for your quick reply.
    Joshua

Beans
    Distro

UPDATE:

I have now tried Unity 2D and Gnome Classic. All do not work. Guest session still works, which I am using to type this thread, but I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking its a problem with a compiz setting with my user, but I do not know how to reset that or anything like that. I'm thinking maybe its crashing every time I try to log in and returning an error code that will put me back to the LightDm login screen. I do not really know. Thanks to anyone who tries to help.

Jspike397

Beans

You may have a variation of the problem described here in post #3.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968155

At any rate it may give some insight as to what might work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I had the same problem, and it was solved by changing the ownership of the file .Xauthority in my home folder. Press Ctrl - Alt - F1, login from the trminal and type this command:
    Code:
    sudo chown yourusername:yourusername .Xauthority

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your help. Zombifier's thread worked. I am logged back into my user and everything works. Thank you for your help.

Jspike397

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    I had the same problem, and it was solved by changing the ownership of the file .Xauthority in my home folder. Press Ctrl - Alt - F1, login from the trminal and type this command:
    Code:
    sudo chown yourusername:yourusername .Xauthority
    Thanks for this! Was having the same problem on my Ubuntu desktop (12.04 LTS x64). Basically, I'd login with the correct username/password through the LightDM login page and it switch to a black screen for a second, and then just kick me back to the LightDM login screen....This fixed my problem however without having to reinstall anything

On a side note, .Xauthority will NOT show up if you do a ls within your users home directly, but will if you do a ls -al (if you want to make sure it's there at all before you chown it).
    613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, LaJuan,

To get to aTTY console or text terminal, press: 'Ctrl+Alt+F1', or from the grub menu edit the Linux /boot line - highlight & press 'e' - adding 'single' [ no quotes] where it says: " ro quiet splash ", and press 'Ctrl+x' to boot.

The first needs you to login with your username and password, the latter takes you directly to a root prompt without needing to log in - so be careful, you will not need 'sudo'.

To stop the X server enter:
    Code:
     sudo service lightdm stop
    If you need more instructions to install the nvidia driver, just ask, or refer to:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535&page=5 Post # 1126

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Helped here, too. Thanks!

Just for interest:
    Do you have an idea what does cause this user change?