Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) Completely Locks Up on Dell Vostro 470

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) Completely Locks Up on Dell Vostro 470

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. Complete system lockup, nothing responds, not even alt+sysrq.
    For me the lockup happens when ever there is intensive graphics on screen, mainly while watching videos. It seems to worse the bigger the size of video window.

I have a HP tx2500 laptop, with a dual core AMD and AMD/Radeon graphics. I have run memtests, have no problems in windows, nor did I experience this problem before updating to 12.04.

It also seems there are several users having the same issue:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/993187

All with different kinds of hardware, though I guess we all would be having a PCI-bus? Perhaps thats the link?

Anyway, I don't think you will be getting anywhere by trying to find faults with you hardware, since we seem to be many people experiencing this since 12.04.

Beans

I managed to take a photo of the screen dump:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/crasheg.png/

Any ideas?

Beans

No, not really, how did you get that log? Is it from after the system froze? (I haven't managed to get any type of response from the system when it freezes, not even sysrq)

From what the call trace shows it stops in the scsi drivers allocation function, I can't see any reason why that would freeze the system completely?
    What I have found how ever is that 12.04 brings a bunch of new features for power saving modes in PCI and USB, I'm going to try and shut them of and see how that goes, probably tomorrow. I'll report back when I've fiddled around a bit...

Beans

Sorry, I read the back trace up side down
    It ends in gs_change, which is about changing context to/from userspace. The documentation mentions it as very fragile, and there are two different methods to be used, depending on what context you come from.
    When googling the thing I got lots of hits on bugs regarding ACPI.
    Correlating this information with the newly added features for USB and PCI, and the fact that many users seems to have less problem with this bug when disconnecting all usb devices... I think it's time to turn of the ACPI... (Though now it's bedtime )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theBrand View Post
    Sorry, I read the back trace up side down
    It ends in gs_change, which is about changing context to/from userspace. The documentation mentions it as very fragile, and there are two different methods to be used, depending on what context you come from.
    When googling the thing I got lots of hits on bugs regarding ACPI.
    Correlating this information with the newly added features for USB and PCI, and the fact that many users seems to have less problem with this bug when disconnecting all usb devices... I think it's time to turn of the ACPI... (Though now it's bedtime )
    Yes, I think it does have something to with USB devices based on the bug tracker. I am actually using a Microsoft USB wireless mouse and Inland USB keyboard.

Please let us know how to turn off ACPI and whatever you do, so I'll try it as well.

Beans

Hello,
    Well lemme start off by saying I know pretty much nothing about computers but i can try to help cause I had a similar problem and found how to fix it. I bought a new computer with an Ivy bridge core i7 and a mother board with a Z77 chipset. It worked fine when I installed a fresh version of Ubuntu 12.04 for a little bit and then i noticed that it would freeze. The freezing seemed to be random and unrelated to heavy jobs or RAM usage. I notice the freeze would always occur when I was using the Interface, either moving the mouse, clicking something or typing. I could calculate 20 Billion Discrete Cosine Transforms, leave, and come back in several hours and it would still be running, but if i was interacting with computer it would freez. When the freeze occurred there was absolutely no response from anything, no REISUB, nothing. only way to restart was to pull the plug. literally.

Well I realized it wasn't an Xorg failure Because i couldn't even toggle the caps or numlock. This is a pretty good indicator of kernel panic. So i got that new kernel. if you enter

uname -a

in a terminal it will print your kernel version. Ubuntu 12.04 ships with kernel 3.2.xx. if u got kernel 3.2.xx or below i would try upgrading to kernel 3.4.xx. Thats what i did and my computer never froze again.

you can do this by going to
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa.../v3.4-precise/

from there download the three files:
    linux-headers-3.4.0-blahblahblah_all.deb
    linux-headers-3.4.0-blahblahblah_amd64.deb
    linux-image-3.4.0-blahblahblah_amd64.deb

use the ones with "amd64" for 64 bit OS and "i386" for 32 bit OS
    use the "all" one regardless of architecture.

now just cd to the directory where u downloaded them and dpkg each one individually in the terminal with

sudo dpkg -i <put the name of the file here>.deb

once thats done restart with

sudo init 6

when ur system reboots check uname -a and see if u have kernel 3.4

Well thats my two cents. im sorry if its not helpful, but good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Resolved (Tentatively)

Hello, this is the original poster with some follow-up information.

First of all, I promised I'd post the results of our system's behavior after we downgraded the OS to Ubuntu 11.10. We did the downgrade last week and the system froze, if anything, with greater frequency under 11.10. So, that idea as a solution is out. Note that we tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of 11.10 and 12.04 of Ubuntu with the same results. As such, we elected to just return the system and get a different one. We were lucky enough to be within the period where we still could return it. Unfortunately, this means I can't help with further diagnostics.

Next, thanks to all those who helped out. Thanks to theBrand for sharing the link to the bug that's been filed for this issue: #993187.

If anyone's symptoms match mine or others who've posted here (that also match mine), this bug is the place to go to continue following this issue. Note that my issue here and the one described in the bug only involves freezes that are absolute, meaning there's no opportunity to REISUB, ping, ssh, telnet, access a terminal, get a crash dump, etc. Also, the screen just locks. There's no black screen, no terminal output, no error window or other messages, etc. Finally, it would appear that the other common aspect mentioned in the bug and by some in this thread, is that the system might work fine when doing simple computation (raw CPU work and even handling SSH session work) but instead tends to freeze when there's direct user interaction on the desktop via the directly connected mouse or keyboard.

On this note, thanks to tvb23 with the kernel upgrade suggestion. I wish I could try that out and post the results but it's too late for that. Perhaps someone else will find this thread, try it out, and provide a confirmation for the solution that worked for you.

Anyhow, I'm going to go ahead and marked this "resolved". However, this post's purpose is to explain my justification for marking it so. After all, I didn't really "solve" the problem for myself (though I might have if I'd been able to test tvb23's suggestion). What we did get, though is a link to a launchpad bug report where further discussion and analysis can go (and a possible solution above from tvb23).

Thanks again to all who helped and good luck to future forum users who come across this thread!

Beans

I was having the exact same symptoms as you, only this computer is a T430s: lockups during keyboard use and then no response to any keyboard or mouse input.

I followed your directions and it appears to have solved the lockup problem.

One thing I found was that I had to install the three sections in the order

1) linux-image <xxxxxx>
    2) linux-headers <xxxxxxx>-all
    3) linux-headers <xxxxxxx>-amd64

because otherwise I was getting told that the install did not occur due to unsatisfied dependencies.

Thanks for the help.

Don

Beans

I'm experiencing very similar problems with my Dell E6420.

A few data points:

1. X is running but I rarely interact with the machine via the console. I always SSH to it. The point is: no keyboard use, and no USB plug/unplug events. The lid is open but the screen is almost always off.
    2. It seemed to only crash over the weekends, then only at night but now it seems it'll crash any time. I can't scientifically say that the problem is actually worsening (as compared to my habits changing).
    3. Running VirtualBOX with a WinXP guest seems to exacerbate the problem (from crashing once every two days to crashing twice/day).
    4. I'm docked, using wired ethernet, wireless disabled.

But the most interesting bit is: when it crashes it seems the ethernet interface chatters away and I have to reboot my ethernet switch after rebooting the machine. The network interruption seems to happen without fail when the machine locks up. It's quite noticeable since it interrupts all the other machines on the switch. There's never anything useful in the log. Maybe this is an interrupt storm and the int-handler keeps re-sending the last packet?

I've just switched from using the dock ethernet to using the on-board ethernet. We'll see if that cures it.

--Miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12