Thread: 12.04 Minimum System Requirement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

12.04 Minimum System Requirement

I enjoy building/repairing old Computers.

Can anyone tell me the Minimum system requirement for Ubuntu 12.04

Many thanks,

Jocklad

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: 12.04 Minimum System Requirement

Beans

Re: 12.04 Minimum System Requirement

Quote Originally Posted by Jocklad View Post

Many thanks,

Jocklad
    Yeah, why Google it, when you can ask it?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

Beans
    Distro

Realistically I wouldn't use Unity with less than a GB of RAM. XFCE (Xubuntu) I'd put with 512 and LXDE with 256. I could be way off, but I like to be able to open a few things at once and with that you shouldn't have problems with it running out of RAM so easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1 GB of Ram, 5 GB of free space(for installation only) and 1 or preferably 2 GB swap space. A CD drive, USB port, a graphics card(be it internal or external) capable of supporting 1024*768 resolution.

And well at least a 1GHz fast processor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DingusFett View Post
    Realistically I wouldn't use Unity with less than a GB of RAM. XFCE (Xubuntu) I'd put with 512 and LXDE with 256. I could be way off, but I like to be able to open a few things at once and with that you shouldn't have problems with it running out of RAM so easily.
    You're right! Unity is a resource hog. I wouldn't even try to run Ubuntu 12.04 (with Unity) on my Netbook with 1GB RAM (which perfectly runs Ubuntu 11.04).

So Ubuntu / Canonical should update Ubuntu's System Requirements. My suggestion 12.04:
    Minimum: 1GB RAM, CPU 2 GHz
    Preferred / Adviced: 2 or 4GB RAM, modern GPU, modern (dual-Core?) CPU 2.5+ GHz.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: 12.04 Minimum System Requirement

Actually, I ran 12.04 on my netbook just fine before I sold it (fingers way too big for the keyboard ).

You have to remember that there used to be a "netbook remix" version of Ubuntu, and Unity was it's default interface. Starting with, *if* I remember correctly, version 11.04 is when Unity moved into the desktop version.

There are also other much lighter version of Linux out there that may be better for a much older, low in specifications PC - laptop or desktop.

There are plenty of threads in the forum regarding that topic. Take a look at things like puppylinux, damn small linux and others.

Dave

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Actually, I ran 12.04 on my netbook just fine before I sold it (fingers way too big for the keyboard ).

You have to remember that there used to be a "netbook remix" version of Ubuntu, and Unity was it's default interface. Starting with, *if* I remember correctly, version 11.04 is when Unity moved into the desktop version.

There are also other much lighter version of Linux out there that may be better for a much older, low in specifications PC - laptop or desktop.

There are plenty of threads in the forum regarding that topic. Take a look at things like puppylinux, damn small linux and others.

Dave
    well.. that was before they put 3D effects. I remember those days. I ran unity on a netbook and they broke the run shortcut. Now i am a commandline user.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jocklad View Post

Many thanks,

Jocklad
    As you can see in this thread, "Minimum system requirements" are somewhat subjective.

In general, the requirements listed on the wiki page are, IMO, reasonable

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

From there,

With or without a graphical interface ?

Also keep in mind, "performance" is not always RAM dependent, it also depends on your graphics card and other hardware (yes a poor wireless driver will slow down the entire system).

In addition, Ubuntu is not really targeting "old hardware". Lubuntu is the lightest.

IMO you really should go with Debian, Arch, or a light weight distro.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    well.. that was before they put 3D effects. I remember those days. I ran unity on a netbook and they broke the run shortcut. Now i am a commandline user.
    Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity 2d is quite snappy on my netbook.

But if you are running 3d effects, by definition you are no longer running on minimal requirements.

You prefer 3d, so your preferred use is going to be higher then minimal requirement.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface